Do Bucks students want a pass/fail option?

Covid-19 has certainly made things quite stressful for many people in America. The virus that’s originated from China has spread everywhere from Italy to America and has caused just about everything to be halted or closed down.

The world of education is no exception to the change.

Publics schools and colleges across America have closed down due to Covid-19. With online instruction in place for the remainder of the school year. Online classes might sound like a good thing for those who don’t like to get out much, but it’s not all rainbows and sunshine.

For some students, online classes can be more difficult than those that are in person. Some students might get easily distracted at home or be more prone to procrastinate.

To try accommodating this situation some schools have decided to change up the grading system to a simple pass or fail system. The pass or fail system is similar to the satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading that students might see on their mid-terms.

Instead of the usual “A,” “B” or “C” grades, a student will receive a “pass” grade if they pass the course their taking, or a “fail” grade if they don’t pass the class.

“I think pass or fail is something bucks should consider,” said Bucks student Sarah Siock stated. “However, I don’t think traditional pass or fail is fair. A lot of students may be counting on this semester to boost their GPAs and that can’t happen with a pass-fail system. The school should give students the option to take a pass/fail or keep a letter grade. This way students who have As in their classes can boost their GPA. While students who are struggling to adjust to an online format can chose to get a pass for the class.”

In an email to students and teachers giving an update on what the school would do during the Covid-19 situation, Bucks’ president Dr.Stephanie Shanblatt stated that there would be a pass or no pass option for the final grading.

“In light of the unanticipated and sudden alteration of course delivery modality caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the College is offering students the option to pursue Pass/No Pass grading for any or all of their Spring 2020 courses,” Shanblatt in the email.

“Students may make this choice after faculty have posted final grades. If students opt to receive a grade of “Pass” or “No Pass,” the grade for the course will not impact their GPA. More information about this option, including a FAQ, will be posted on bucks.edu soon.”

As stated before, Covid-19 has certainly made things stressful for everyone in America. As of the time of this article, there’s no word that the fall semester will take place online only, though an announcement can be expected as that semester gets closer.

Hopefully by then, things can return semi-normal, and students can return to the Bucks campuses once