How students and residents are faring with COVID-19 into fall

Facing the challenges of living through a pandemic are difficult, especially for local students and residents who are trying to continue their education during such unprecedented times. 

Students have to pivot and shift directions in all aspects of life. This is especially hard for students who are dealing with the obstacles of virtual learning and missing out on the social aspect that colleges normally provide. 

“I’ve been working overtime since COVID began back in March. I was supposed to lead a Habitat for Humanity trip to New Orleans, Louisiana, to help build houses for the college over spring break but it all was canceled due to the pandemic,” said Bucks student Leah Miller, who works as a pharmacy tech for Rite Aid. 

School functions, club events, frat parties, social gatherings and vacations no longer exist in the same capacity as they once did, and life as we know it may not be coming back for a while. Though, some are finally starting to feel comfortable with going out again after months of quarantine.  

“I have been working a lot so I do not have much time to socialize. If and when I do, I invite people over to my house, so we won’t have to go out,” Miller said. 

Many share the same sentiment as Miller, while some college students are still striving for the college experience,and not accepting this new “normal.” They are still going to bars, frat parties and not social distancing like the CDC recommends. 

“Typically, I haven’t been seeing many people beyond when I go to work. That’s about as much going out as I do. When I have seen friends, I have only seen a very small handful at most and it was during a small get-together a few months ago. I feel socializing won’t be normal again for me until next year. Most people seem to be feeling the say way and have limited their contact to just family and small group of friends,” said Bucks student Dean Guiliano. 

This is not just affecting students. Unemployment is high; people are out of work and are craving the normalcy that they once had. Even something as simple as going out to eat is something people are shying away from. 

“Due to having a lung issue, I am taking this pandemic seriously. For the first three months, I have stayed pretty close to home, avoiding going out unless I really needed to. Since then, I go to my kid’s homes for visits. I have only been out to dinner twice with another couple, but I am not totally comfortable. Other than that, I am staying home much more than I normally would,” said Nancy Laurel of Holland, Pa. 

While people are still going out and trying to continue on with life while being in the midst of a pandemic, they are still trying to uphold the current CDC guidelines. It has definitely been an adjustment for everyone.