Zoom Vs. In Person Classes

COVID has loosened its grip on college class options, but is that enough to persuade students to take in-person classes instead of the zoom classes that they have gotten accustomed to over the past year?

Students now have the option to return to campus for some of their classes instead of taking their classes through a screen in the comfort of their own home. While some students are content with staying on zoom, many look to make the switch to in person learning.

Zoom has been a useful tool over the past year and a half during the pandemic, but it was never able to replicate the feeling of an in person setting. Students often fell behind in class due to distractions at home and were forced to motivate themselves to complete their work on time.

Although zoom has made schoolwork more flexible for some, others are looking forward to moving their learning into classrooms and lecture halls.

In-person classes provide a critical connection between professors and their students that you just don’t get online.

Sebastian Fontan, a student at Bucks says, “It’s easier to learn in an in person setting because if you have questions on certain topics, you can ask your professor right there. If it were zoom it could take a day to get a response.”

The quick turnaround time for questions can make the difference between solidifying your understanding and being left clueless.

Shiv Patel, a student at Temple University, shares the same opinion stating, “Questions are more easily answered and in a timely manner.”

The argument against zoom classes has been evident for quite some time. The lack of social interaction with peers as well as the teacher cannot be replicated, which can prove to be vital to learning as a student. Although break out rooms exist, they tend to be forgotten by most professors.

Shiv Patel also shares his thoughts on the differences between the two classes.

“Smaller in person classes provide a tighter learning experience. I prefer in person classes over zoom because knowing that I have my lectures recorded, I get lazy and skip my work.” Many students take zoom classes in the bedroom, which can be detrimental to your success as it invites numerous distractions.

Socializing is a huge part of the college experience and often, zoom is not providing it. Dillion Clancy, a student at East Stroudsburg University says, “Since I live on campus, I prefer in personlearning. With in-person learning, you can talk with students and make new friends, but you have to give 100% attentions.” Slacking off isn’t an option in the presence of a good professor, whereas on zoom it isn’t regularly enforced.

When asked how zoom classes could be improved, Clancy states, “Zoom would be better if you had more one on one time with the professor instead of having to ask your question in front of the whole zoom class.” Fontan thinks zoom could be better if there was more variety, instead of, “students staring at a screen for hours at a time.”

Online learning isn’t for everyone, and some value learning in the comfort of their home. Although Zoom served its purpose, students are looking forward to returning to learning in person and capitalizing on the social benefits that come with them.