Bucks Offers Environmental Sciences Major

Bucks is one of only a few community colleges that offers an Environmental Sciences major. 

“As time goes on, environmental science majors are going to become more and more important, because we will need someone to try and fix our past and current mistakes. Because of this it is very easy to get a good job after school, and if you want to specialize in a certain field there are schools that exist for that sole purpose,’ says Dr Kathi Knight, Bucks Professor of Biology and Environmental Sciences. 

Environmental science is the only major at Bucks that has environmentally based courses built into its curriculum. In Introductions to Environmental Science, students get real research experience as they participate in a restoration project of a meadow and forest in Tyler State Park. 

This requires students to plant trees, remove invasive species, remove fallen trees, and many more activities that are needed to restore the meadow and forest. 

You can find job opportunities with your two-year degree from Bucks, but if you specialize further by attending a four-year university, you will find even more. 

However, if you decide that you do not wish to attend a four-year university after Bucks it is still possible to find work. But there will be a lot more opportunities for someone with a four-year degree. 

Another reason to consider being an environmental science major are the large numbers of internships available.  

 “It is very easy to get an internship, even for a paid internship that will offer more than minimum wage, this way they have a job that pays the bills, and they are getting relevant experience. With an internship they are getting real experience and gaining an important experience that is related to the field,” says Knight. 

Also, it is not only the internships that pay well, but environmental science majors earn a good salary straight out of school. 

“The pay is a livable wage, but how much depends on whether you get a job with the government or a private company. This also might be increased in the future depending on where they are located, and how big the demand is at that time,” says Knight. 

She also gave the example that a former student of hers was being paid $56 thousand a year while going to grad school. 

If you are looking for a major, care about the environment, and like to be outdoors consider Environmental Science as your major or try one environmental class. It counts as a required science class.