Disability Pride Club Seeks New Members

Tony
Photo courtesy Unsplash

All universities and colleges are diverse in so many ways. But this especially includes those who are ‘unique’, who may not feel safe in the surroundings at the college. But a great club to join is Disability Pride Club which is always an open space to make new friends and do fun activities.

The Disability Pride Club is a safe place where those who feel unconnected or different at the college, can join to talk about their problems or general stuff.

Christian Huber, a music and social work major, organizes everything that the club does every meeting. “This club is a safe place where those with disabilities and allies and meet new people. And talk about how their disability is both a blessing and a challenge.”, said Huber.

Huber has a close connection with Alan Holdsworth, who is a well-known musician, who has been an activist for the Capitol Crawl within the disability’s movement.

The club has many events that go on with it other than just speaking. There are virtual game nights, movie nights, and sometimes they even meet up in person. They have seen people like Pamela Schuller, and Micah Fowler. It celebrates disabilities every month whether it would be mental, psychological, etc.

For two years, the Disability Pride Club has been around the college. With Danielle Holdsworth founding it, then with Matt Young taking over right before Huber stepped up to the plate.

Erin Baeder, the formal presidential fellow, became a member of this club, and stuck something in her pocket. She landed a job as a job coach and direct support specialist for the Bucks County Intermediate Unit. “I would say two years and that was just being a part of it which was great!” said Baeder. Disability Pride Club has opened her eyes every day she attended the club. And according to Baeder, the college has already taken issues on the receptive concerns brought up by the club.

Unlike Baeder, this is a very first time for Sitay Buder. “I was laughing and smiling the whole time and talking about my experience while having fun all at once.”.

Some of the returning members also enjoy being part of the club. Just like being part of a friend group on campus. Always smiling and having fun with one another.

“It’s a place where I can relate to others. I have made so many friends!”, says Melanie McDaniel.

“It beings open-mindedness with having others that understand it from your perspective.” Says Alina Sierra-Diaz.

“It’s a place where people can meet new people and help build long-term friendships. It helps people understand people of all different types of disabilities and different majors in the college. And abroad.” Says Bennett Aniloff.

Huber and Baeder both help run the Stephen Sanchez Memorial Scholarship, which students with disabilities can apply for to help fund their education. Regardless of status, the minimum needed is a 2.0 GPA.

The Disability Pride Club has a lot to offer for those who want to meet new people and understand disabilities within one another. A great club to join if you want to be in a safe place.