Bucks’ Open-Door Club Gets the Year Started

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia commons.

Bucks’ very own Open-Door Club met for the first time this semester on Tuesday, Sept. 27, in Rollins 115. The doors were indeed open to all who wanted to attend, and attendees were met with free pizza, cookies, and cupcakes to welcome all newcomers and returning members.

The meeting began with students introducing themselves by giving their name, pronouns, sexuality, and gender identity. Club president Abigayle, 28, a photography student at Bucks, introduced herself and told the group the story of how she learned who she was and why she was the president of the club. After the informational portion of the meeting, the floor was open to members to share a bit about themselves, what they wanted to see for the future of the club and any ideas they may have had to make the club better.

The club will be meeting every Tuesday this semester from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in Rollins 115. The Open-Door club is set to be a fun place to join friends and classmates that are either part of the LGBTQ+ community or allies. The club is as inclusive as the name suggests and students should be sure to feel welcome and accepted when they step through the classroom doors.

Abigayle has big plans for this year, hoping to have many events including a Halloween party, a bowling outing, and a prom later in the spring semester. Fundraisers are also being discussed for later down the road to raise money for said outings.

Abigayle is “excited for this year” and the same can be said for the rest of the members. With her big dreams for the Open-Door club to be an inclusive and safe space for all students no matter their age, gender, race, or sexuality, it is easy to see that there is a lot to be excited about. More information on upcoming events and fundraisers will come as plans are made, but it is sure to say that things are already in motion for a big year for the Open-Door club.

The Open-Door club’s goals are to discuss global, national and local issues pertaining to sexual orientation and gender identity which is open to anyone.   Another goal of the club is to raise awareness to oppression that is harmful and offensive to the LGBTQ+ community such as homophobic slurs that is seen on a day-to-day basis.

Students are also worried that their parents will kick them out for coming out to the parents.  Students will be supported by the club to help them transitioning or help coming out to their parents.

Centers of education are places where younger minds are cultivated to form an open mind with diverse populations on a regular college campus. However, with the fear of oppression from fellow classmates make it hard to be open about their sexuality.

The Open-Door club will serve as a safe place for students suffering from oppression and will freely discuss issues that affect them at home or in the community.