Bucks Launches Weekend College Program

Unsplash
Unsplash

To address the growing needs of working adults trying to balance work and higher education, Bucks has launched a progressive Weekend College Program that aims to provide greater flexibility for students while also sustaining the quality of education.

Jody Seutter M.A, J.D., interim associate provost and assistant vice president of academic affairs at Bucks, who is directing the initiative, explains “In my role as associate provost, I am responsible for the oversight and maintenance of our curriculum.”

“As the Weekend College program would essentially repackage some of our course offerings in a format that would hopefully be more accessible to working adults, I was asked to develop a pilot,” he furthers.

The catalyst for this program, as Seutter tells us came from a recognition of student needs. “We know from student survey data that many of our students face non-academic barriers to success, one of the most pressing being challenges inherent in juggling both work and school so that they can afford to continue their studies,” he said.

“The Weekend College model was proposed as one option that might allow students more flexibility to work full-time during the week while continuing their collegiate studies on weekends.”

Currently, the program offers courses in three majors: Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice, Associate of Science in Health Science and Paralegal Certificate.

However, Seutter suggests expanded possibilities for the future, stating, “If the program proves successful, we plan to expand it beyond the three initial majors.

For this initiative, we are particularly focused on programs of study that make students ‘job ready,’ and would probably start any expansion with a similar focus on occupational programs. That said, we’re also responsive to student feedback and open to considering the inclusion of any program where sufficient student interest exists.”

The key to the program’s success is its hybrid model, offering students a blend of in-person and remote learning. Seutter explained, “The hybrid model allows students to be physically present on campus for those times where content is best covered in-person, and work remotely (often asynchronously) for the remainder of their coursework. In this model, we can provide accessibility and flexibility, while also promoting a deeper connection between students, faculty, staff, and potential employers.”

A key feature of this unique program is the ability to accelerate graduation for ambitious students. Seutter says, “If a Weekend College student opts to enroll in all courses that are part of that participating major’s cohort, the student could complete all required classes on an accelerated timeframe.”

Enrollment for the Weekend Program is in its early stages. Seutter reveals, “Promotion of the Weekend College program started rather late to impact enrollment for the fall semester, but we are planning for a more extensive push for the upcoming spring semester and/or Fall 2024. We are also continuing to respond to feedback from prospective students on ways in which we might make the program even more accessible, such as identifying reasonably priced options for childcare.”

It seems the Weekend Program is in the wise and capable hands of Seutter who demonstrates a keen understanding of Bucks students’ needs and a clear path to implementing improvements to the program that will benefit students in an evolving academic landscape.

With one full semester of the program underway, it will be interesting to see what new courses of study will be added, looking ahead in anticipation of an increase in student enrollment.