“Bucks Most Eligible”

“Bucks Most Eligible”
Bucks students cram the Gallagher Room to bid on their favorite lovely lady or handsome gentleman in hopes of landing a private lunch.
It’s two days after Valentine’s Day but that doesn’t stop the sparks from flying as students shout out bids for the people on display before them.
Jessica Jennings, 20, and a science major, was one of the first ladies auctioned off. Jennings was auctioned for $20 for the cause.
“I wanted to help out my friends,” says Jennings on her decision to join the Bucks Most Eligible auction. “I’m an officer in the Gaming Club and wanted to help my other friends in clubs that helped set up the event.”
The student government was behind the event but they received a lot of help from other clubs including the Open Door Club and the Anime Club to assist in setting up tables and collect tickets.
Cindy Cowles, 20, photography major, was roaming around snapping pictures of the event.
“The Student Programming Board wanted me to take pictures,” said Cowles. “The student government put this together but I think a lot of other clubs helped out.”
Bucks Most Eligible was organized to raise money for a movie night, expected to take place in the first week of May. All proceeds from the movie night will fund Autism Speaks.
There was a large turnout for the event. The Gallagher room was very crowded with students hooting and hollering while shouting out bids over the dub step music blasting over the speakers.
“I think the student government was surprised by the turnout,” said Director of Student Life Matthew Cipriano. “They thought it would go well but I don’t think they thought it would go this well.”
“How can we bring the average student, that doesn’t participate in any clubs, into a fundraising event?” Cipriano said that was the question the student government asked themselves before creating Bucks Most Eligible.
Cipriano appeared to be having a blast, acting as MC for the auction and egging students to bid higher and higher.
When Mike Kamedula, 24, criminal justice major, and former United States Marine, stepped up on stage, dressed in his military issued dress blues, the crowd was uproarious. The bids rose quickly.
“We accept checks,” joked Cipriano in an attempt to raise the bid.
At $50, Kamedula raked in the most money for the event. And for her generous donation, Rachel Wood, 51, part time paralegal major, enjoyed a private buffet-style lunch with her date.
“I saw he was dressed in his military uniform,” said Rachel. “I had to give him credit for the duty. Here’s a guy that’s educated and disciplined. And guys in uniform are always good.”
With the proceeds raised from the auctions, the student government should be well on their way to setting up a movie night in May for their noble cause.