Bucks to issue photo ID for upcoming election

Due to a new voter ID law, Bucks will provide students with valid photo identification cards that can be used to vote in the 2012 presidential election.

The college is trying to ensure that all current students have the acceptable identification needed to vote.

Bucks will take photos for the IDs on the following dates: Oct. 2 and 3 at the Newtown Campus Library from 10 a.m to 1 p.m. and 5 p.m to 7 p.m, and Oct. 4 at the Upper Bucks Campus Desk from 10 a.m to 1p.m and 5 to 7 p.m

To get an ID the student must be currently enrolled at the college. You should bring your class schedule from WebAdvisor as well as another form of identification to any of the sessions listed above. Volunteers will help students and they will receive necessary photo identification needed to cast a ballot.

A law requiring such IDs is still being tossed around in the courts. A decision is expected by Oct. 2.

It was passed in March by the Republican-led state legislature with no Democratic support at all. Supporters of this law say it was developed to ensure that just legally eligible people can vote.

But many critics say Pennsylvania`s voter ID law will keep minority voters, who mostly vote Democratic, away from the polls.

“I think the new law is not a good idea. Not all senior citizens have state issued IDs and in order to get one you need a birth certificate and not everyone has it,” said Laxmi Desai, 22, an education major from Newtown.

The Supreme Court wants to make sure that people can have easy access to photo identifications, since the presidential race is just a few weeks away.

If it proves to be difficult to make IDs, some believe Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson will have to block the law prior to the November election.

One of the approved forms of identification is a current student ID from an accredited state public or private institution or private institution of higher learning, as long as it has the student`s name, photo and a current expiration date.

Many colleges and universities issue student IDs, but not all of them are in compliance with the new law. According to PennPIRG, a state consumer advocacy group, the most common missing element is an expiration date.

Bucks’ regular student IDs does not have any of the required features. There is no name, photo or expiration date the current Bucks ID.

But to get students ready for Election Day the college will make an acceptable form of identification for whose who would like to receive it.

Safwan Khan, 20, a business major from Newtown, believes the ID law shouldn’t exist.

” I think the voter ID law is a sham. It disenfranchises many Latino and old voters. There is no need for it and it hinders the voting process,” Khan said.

“But anyway I support Bucks in helping students to get appropriate identifications, because if they will pass this law people will need them.”