Faculty offers new president praise, students show little interest

President Shanblatt meets with staff

As the new brick foundations are being completed outside the Bucks campus welcoming students, new Bucks President Stephanie Shanblatt has begun building the foundations for leading the college.

Shanblatt is the college’s first female president in its 48-year history, succeeding James Linksz, who retired after 20 years in the job. Shanblatt’s presidency was announced on July 25, after she was chosen by Bucks’ Board of Trustees.

“I am very excited about the opportunity to build on the strong foundation at Bucks County Community College. Together with the faculty, staff, and the Board of Trustees, I am committed to serving our students, local employers, and the community. I am honored to have been selected as the next president of Bucks and look forward to becoming a part of this wonderful community,” Shanblatt said.

Shanblatt has worked as a provost and senior vice president of academic affairs at Lansing Community College, where she also served on various Lansing boards and councils. Shanblatt received her PhD in biochemistry and a B.S. in chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Medicine.

Shanblatt started an initiative at Lansing Community College known as “Achieving the Dream.” It focused on institutional change that upgraded student success and graduation rates. She also expanded the campus University Center and added what was known as a “Middle College.”

At the announcement of Shanblatt’s presidency, Linksz weighed in: “Having been a person coming from another community college to this college to take a job 20 years ago, I pretty much understand the transition process,”

“I’m looking forward to helping the new president get started and be successful.”

“We are delighted that Stephanie Shanblatt is joining Bucks County Community College,” said board chairman Blake Eisenhart.

“The board entered this process wanting to select a president for our great college who would continue to move the institution forward with a strong vision and a commitment to our students, faculty, alumni and staff, as well as deepen the relationship we have with the community.”

James Freeman, professor of Language and Literature, shared these sentiments: “I, and the faculty as a whole, look forward to a long and productive relationship working with her as our president. She is a highly intelligent, warm and engaging person who will be more than up to facing any educational issues at BCCC as we sail into the future. Clearly, President Shanblatt embraces the BCCC mission, which has as its core student and learning centered-ness as well as honoring the importance of ongoing quality teaching.”

While most student reaction was apathetic, Erin Bray, 20, a psychology major from Fairless Hills offered her view: “I hear she [President Shanblatt] is incredibly nice. The Newtown campus is beautiful and full of life. My professors were all great and very helpful in their teaching methods and guided me through my classes with relative ease. This starts with the president, and I’m sure Shanblatt will embody that.”

Growth will be a huge factor for Shanblatt’s administration, including the Upper Bucks campus in Perkasie, which had a 26,000-foot expansion built in 2010, and the Lower Bucks campus in Bristol, which opened in 2007.

“I think BCCC will continue to grow its lower and upper Bucks campuses while maintaining and growing its vibrant main campus in Newtown, will keep up with and advance educational pedagogy and technology, and will continue to have its students prosper as learners and citizens,” said Freeman.

In her free time, Shanblatt is an avid fan of nature, enjoying canoeing, camping, traveling and of course, reading. She is married to Dr. Michael Shanblatt, and they have two daughters.