Enrollment steadily declining

Enrollment steadily declining

Student enrollment at Bucks is down 6 percent since last spring, which led to the cancellation of over 300 classes this semester.

According to Dr. Stephanie Shanblatt, president at Bucks, two main factors contributed to the drop in enrollment—the improved economy and demographics.

“This is really the natural progression of the economy improving. When unemployment goes up, our enrollment goes up,” said Shanblatt.

Unemployment rates have continued to drop since its peak in 2010 at 9.6 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, down to 6.2 percent in 2014.

“Another contributing factor is the demographics in Bucks County. There are fewer high school graduates now,” said Shanblatt.

According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education, enrollment in primary and secondary public schools in Bucks County has decreased by over 5 percent over the last 12 years.

Shanblatt said the decrease was expected, and not exclusive to Bucks. “Across the country, community college enrollment is down over the last two years.”

The 6 percent reported decrease, based on the number of credits taken, equates to 4,561 fewer credits than last spring. The amount of students enrolled is down by 3.3 percent, or 293 fewer students.

“What we noticed was each student was actually taking fewer credits,” said Shanblatt.

With fewer students taking fewer classes, cancellations were unavoidable.

According to Bob Maley, director of registration, 343 classes have been cancelled this semester as of Feb. 12. However, he pointed out that “registration continues for later-starting courses, so the story is not over yet for this term.”

For full-time faculty, cancellations make it difficult to maintain course loads. In order to make their loads, usually 15 credits, classes are taken from part-time professors when necessary.

Faculty Union President John Strauss said that some part-time teachers who normally teach three to four classes are now down to one.

“A lot of part-timers are getting by working three or four different places trying to make a living,” said Strauss. “That’s who gets hit harder than anyone else.”

When asked if there are any concerns over layoffs, Strauss said, “People are nervous, but I have not heard yet of any job fears.”

Shanblatt reassured that they weren’t considering layoffs at this time, explaining that the board has been able to cut employment spending through attrition.

“We’ve reduced some positions due to retirement or resignation. Every open position has to be approved by the cabinet before it can be filled,” said Shanblatt.

“We really have done a lot of budget trimming over the years. We worked really hard to control our expenses to keep the tuition as low as possible,” said Shanblatt.

In the finance report at the December Board of Trustees meeting, a financial review of the 2014 fiscal year was presented. “The college achieved its goal of a balance budget for the year which demonstrated fiscal viability and responsible financial management. During the year, revenues received from the State and County were flat when compared to the previous year.”

With the drop in enrollment, coupled with a decrease in public funding, something has to give.

Shanblatt said that while it is ultimately a board decision, she expects “there will probably be a modest tuition increase.”

While decreases in enrollment are a consequence of the improving economy and current demographics, Shanblatt hopes their efforts in recruitment and retention will help to lessen the effects.

“We’re trying to do things differently as far as recruiting,” said Shanblatt.

She said they are reaching out to students who started here, but didn’t finish. They are also reaching out to local businesses and organizations throughout the county, offering tailored options and workshops.

In addition, Shanblatt said they are looking for new ways to retain students through improved advising services, citing the recently launched Student Planning Module and educational planners as the most recent enhancements.

“We’re trying to engage our students, invest in them more,” said Shanblatt.

Educational planners meet with new students to help them develop and better understand their goals. They work to ensure students walk away with a plan.

“We’re really trying to make sure students have people they know they can go to, not just an office, but people,” said Shanblatt.

Regardless of the drop in enrollment, plans for the new science building are still underway.

“I think students who are interested in the sciences will be more interested with our new facilities,” said Shanblatt. “I think actually that building will help enrollment because we will have the appropriate facilities and they can look forward to taking their classes here.”

Referring to the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education (STEM) department, Shanblatt said, “I think they’ve taken less of a hit with this enrollment decline.”