Shyamalan Makes A Comeback With “Split”

M. Night Shyamalan, a director most popularly known for his work of “The Sixth Sense” and “Unbreakable”, has brought yet another psychological thriller to life this winter. Racking in 149 million dollars in sales thus far, “Split” has left millions gasping for air.
“Split” is set and filmed in modern day Philadelphia, following the story of a man with dissociative identity disorder who kidnaps three teenage girls, locking them in a basement and leaving them to search for a way out.
This man, commonly referred to as Dennis, has 23 personalities, ranging from all different ages and characteristics, some much more harmful than others.
The film follows the journey of Claire, Marcia and Casey who must learn to recognize the different identities, realize who is dangerous and who can give them information, while also trying to escape.
James McAvoy, the lead role, does an incredible job of accurately portraying a man with mental illness, he executes the character with conviction and dedication, giving the audience a true sense of what it is like to be in the presence of a man with D.I.D.
“Split” is a must-watch, it gives a true and honest depiction of a man’s life struggle without glorifying mental illness, while also dousing the audience with an exhilarating rush.
Throughout the movie, Casey, played by Anya Taylor-Joy, is the character worth rooting for. With her powerful intelligence and survivalist mindset, she captures the hearts of the audience with her fearless attitude.
This is a breakout role for Joy, who is absolutely captivating to watch on screen. She conveys her character with such elegance and communicates such powerful emotion to the audience, giving them an honest perspective of how it feels to be kidnapped and left to survive.
Much like Shyamalan’s other films, “Split” catches the attention of the viewer by providing elements of mystery and suspense, keeping the audience on their toes until the last few seconds.
In contrast to many horror films, this movie is not out in the open scary, with pop out monsters or zombies. It is mentally terrifying, mostly because it hones in on societies deepest fears.
For the lover of more classic thriller films, “Split” also incorporates a slight supernatural aspect. Because of this, this film is universally pleasing, providing an element of horror for everyone to enjoy.
This hair-raising film also allows the audience to tap into the world of the unknown, a world of mental complexity that is beautifully complicated and often left untouched. Since many have not experienced D.I.D, this film gives them the chance to do so in a captivating way.
Though this film incorporates mental illness, many must remember that it is not an exact portrayal, it just uses the foundation of the disorder to create a haunting world for a kidnapping mystery.
“Split” is a movie that is worth watching, taking the audience on a ride of several twists and turns, leaving them speechless by the end. It is a movie that will not only capture your attention in the moment, but will leave you mind blown long after the screen goes black.