Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Sydne Patchell, Centurion Staff

Oh yes, it’s that time of year again. The time for pumpkin spice lattes, sweaters, hayrides, pumpkin patches, and scary movies has arrived.

If attending local fall events isn’t your forte, stay home with a bowl of sweets and watch the best movies of the season.

A few of the movies that were ranked as a “must-see” are “Hocus Pocus,” “Halloween Town Series,” “Halloween,” “Friday the 13th” and “Nightmare Before Christmas.” Others include “Twitches,” “Casper,” “It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown” and “Nightmare on Elm Street.”

“Hocus Pocus” is the most popular Halloween movie amongst college students. After asking students from Bucks, Penn State Abington, and lower Bucks, “what are the best Halloween movies of all time?” the answer was always and unanimously, “Hocus Pocus” and if not, it was “Halloween Town.” People enjoyed talking about the potential for coziness, pumpkin flavored foods, and great movies when asked about the top ten best movies.

Many college students who helped make up this survey, didn’t care much for the scary movies, but rather the Disney original movies that play this time of year.

Current Bucks student Krista Hiller, 19, of Sellersville, like others, says that her favorite movie to watch this time of year is “Casper.”

She said, “I really just love spending time with family, eating popcorn, and enjoying the cuteness in the movie instead of the scariness.”

Another Bucks student, Sydney Kramer, 19, of Richboro, says that her favorite movie is “Halloween Town” and mentions, “I’ve always wanted to ride grandma Aggie’s broom stick!”

A lower Bucks student, Coty Thomas, 20, of Sellersville like many others, says simply, “it’s a classic!” When it came to scary movies, people didn’t rave much about the newest movies or really any movies from the last ten years.

In fact, the newest movie in the top ten list is from 2005, “Twitches” and the oldest is from 1966, “It’s The Great Pumpkin.”

With the ability to create amazing effects and animation, using extremely realistic makeup, and hiring proficient actors, in this day in age we cannot compete with our predecessors. With this simple observation, it is safe to say that when in doubt, for choosing a great movie to watch on Halloween, pick a classic!

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Bucks News

Bucks Holds Annual Student Research Conference

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Top Stories

Panel Focuses on Sex Harassment in Workplace

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Around Bucks County

The Opioid Epidemic: It Starts With Us

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Wallace and Fitzpatrick Hold Final Debate at Lower Bucks Campus

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Bucks Student is Arrested for Making Threat

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Bucks shut down due to threats

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Bucks Student Hunger on the Rise, a New Survey Confirms

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Bucks Student Involvement Fair Returns With a New Name and a New Location

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Democratic Candidate Scott Wallace on Climate Change, Gun Control and More

• Top 10 Halloween Flicks

Sports

Gearing Up for the Upcoming Soccer Season

Top 10 Halloween Flicks