Bucks Holds Annual Student Research Conference

PHOTO COURTESY OF SARAH SIOCK

Bucks students presented semester long group and solo research projects in front of their peers and the public at the bi-annual Student Research Conference (SRC) on Nov 30.
The Student Research Conference was held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in various classrooms throughout the campus. The conference allowed students to collaborate with others and showcase their projects in a setting different from the normal classroom. The conference was open to other Bucks students as well as the public.
The conference was originally created by the Language and Literature department for compositions courses but since it was such a success it has grown to now include presentations from every department at Bucks.
This year’s conference was another success with presenters filling every time slot. Presentations covered topics ranging from government military spending, to the tax on feminine hygiene products, and even phycological experiments. Participants felt the conference was a great experience and very beneficial.
One presenter, Megan Burke, shared her thoughts on the conference, “I felt that the conference really helped when it comes to group skills as you are working with people from your classes in order to create a successful presentation.”
Burke also added, “I feel that I personally gained more confidence when it comes to presenting in front of others.”
The conference also had a break for a free lunch where presenters could gather, relax, and talk about their presentation experience.
Professor and organizer of the event Sarahlyn Bruck described how the conference is a great way to bring the school together when she said, “The SRC is a great opportunity for students to meet with classmates, faculty, and administrators outside of class, which makes students feel less isolated and more connected to others and to Bucks.”
Other participants from the conference shared the skills that they gained from being part of the event.
“The conference was a great way to improve on public speaking and learn how to gather research from reliable sources, it was a really great event,” said presenter Makara Bastian.
Another participant, Gracanne Rutecki, added, “I really feel the conference helped my skills in working with a group to create a successful presentation.”
This year the conference had two more events in addition to the presentations. There was a “Field of Opportunity” display in the Gallagher Room which was presented by GUID 101 students. The display included the students research about career and academic fields they are interested in. There was also a Resource Fair with various offices around campus including the Academic Success Center, Transfer and Advising, Student Life, Career Development, the Accessibility Office, Alumni Relations, and Counseling Services.
Event organizer and Language and Literature Professor Charlie Groth said, “Our conference is 10 years old AND it is a finalist for a Bellwether award, which is a prestigious award for innovation at community colleges.
The conference prepares students with skills that they will continue to use in a professional setting. Organizers Sarahlyn Bucks encouraged students to sign up for the Spring conference when she highlighted the benefits of the conference, “Presenting at a conference shows transfer schools and potential employers that this student demonstrates a level of interest and commitment in a specific field that a transcript alone can’t provide.”