Valentine’s CPR Training In Linksz Pavilion

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

The Linksz Pavillion is hosting two 30-minute Hands Only CPR training classes Thursday, February 14, else known as Valentine’s Day. The American Heart Association reported that 88 percent of cardiac arrests happen at home so it is best to be prepared.

There are two training sessions on Valentine’s Day. It is open to both students and employees.

Both training sessions each can hold 50 people. It is required to sign-up for a session before the event, a form can be found right here.

The first session takes place from 12:30p.m. To 1p.m, while the second session takes place from 1p.m. to 1:30p.m. An attendee will be able to learn, then practice at these sessions.

Janet Baker, the Director of Allied Health, stated that. “Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America.” The CDC reported that 610,000 Americans die every year from heart disease, and there are 735,000 heart attacks every year.

“If someone knows what to do in an emergency situation, it can make the difference of life and death,” Baker said. She stressed that it was very important to learn CPR because it can prevent many deaths.

“The Hands Only CPR is geared towards people who suddenly collapse who are in an emergency situation,” said Baker. She explained that Hands Only CPR is easy to learn.

In short, there are only two steps with Hands Only CPR; calling 911, then performing chest compressions.

This class is not a certification. The goal of this class is to inform people on how to perform a form of CPR to prevent unnecessary deaths.

If an attendee wants a certification, he or she can take a certification class another time. “All the CPR classes are valuable to learn,” stressed Baker.

This is the second year that the Health Sciences Department has held the Hands Only CPR event. It’s one event in a string of events supporting American Heart Month.

After this Valentine’s day CPR training, there is a lecture in Founders Hall 140 about “Women and Heart Disease.” It will take place Feb. 16, 3:30 to 5p.m.

Baker said that Valentine’s Day was chosen because, “it is a day that we show someone how much we love them.” “It could be a loved one [we save] someday,” finished Baker.

The American Heart Association reported that 70 percent of Americans either don’t know how to perform CPR, or their training has significantly lapsed. If you are part of that 70 percent, then please attend a training session.

A heart attack or cardiac arrest can happen to anybody. Do you want to stand by the side while a person dies, or do you want to act and save a life?