Are Relationships Affecting Students’ Work Ethic?

With Valentines Day
approaching, love is in the air here at Bucks County
Community College. With many students planning on celebrating this love-filled holiday, you may be asking yourself, how are
students able to juggle work, school, and a relationship?
Bucks students gave their intake on how to maintain a relationship as a college student.
Jamal Tyler, 22, information sciences and technology major said, “I think it depends on their discipline and responsibility.” He explained that if these qualities are lacking it be may be a struggle to juggle all three things at once.
Anna Dean, 19, graphic design major explained, “You’re never too busy for a relationship if you want it to work, you don’t have to spend all your time together to be in a relationship.”
Most students agreed that if you’re invested enough and have your priorities straight you are able to be involved in work, school and a relationship all at once.
Students also gave input on the difficulties of meeting that special someone at a community college versus a four-year university.
Emily Maley, 19, Biology major explained, “You can meet anyone anywhere.”
Maley added that although you are more likely to see a larger amount of new faces at a
four-year university you are still likely to meet the same amount of people no matter where you are.
Other students felt that a
community college is an ideal place to find a significant other.

Molly Jeffery, 18,
biomedical science major explained, “No, the classes are smaller at a community college so you get to know more people rather than sitting in a room not talking to 200 of your peers.”
On the other hand, a few students argued that it is harder because many of the faces you see day to day at community college are familiar faces from high school.
Dean explained, “A lot of the faces you see went to high school with you. It’s harder meeting new people if you already know most of them.”
Students also gave their opinion on if they thought being in a relationship can affect your grades and
overall work ethic.
Domonique Cooper, 20, biomedical science major explained, “It depends on how you manage your time. Be patient, do what you have to do, and don’t let your relationship affect your education.”
Maley responded, “If you are not serious about school then yes because people get their priorities mixed up, especially when they’re ‘in love.” She then continued to say that if you are in fact serious about school you shouldn’t have to worry about anything getting in the way.
Many college students face the task of balancing school, work and a relationship, while some might be able to juggle all three components. Students also can face challenges of meeting new people in school, especially a community college.
It is clear that all that students have different views on dating as a college student. With that being said, it seems that factors like discipline, time management, and responsibility play a key role in all student’s opinions.