First Day of Spring Fling Shows Great Turnout

Courtesy of Chris Seifert

Each Bucks County Community College campus holds an action-packed annual Spring Fling event at the end of the spring semester, and this year has been no exception.

At the main campus in Newtown, the gathering was planned for Wednesday, April 24, and Thursday, April 25 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The first day of events on Thursday had a great turnout, with many students stopping by to enjoy the festivities. Chris Seifert, Director of Student Engagement and Leadership Development, explains a little bit behind the Spring Fling events, “It’s a way for us to gather and celebrate as we head towards the end of the semester and give students a chance to relax, throw an axe, do some Zumba, and just have some fun before we depart.” 

The first day of events included axe throwing, Zumba, mini golf, a mechanical bull, cornhole, and some other yard games. In addition to these activities, Thursday’s food was free French fries from a Spuddy’s Fries food truck, and freshly popped popcorn. There was also a table representing Suitable handing out free prizes and the Bucks Opportunity Council offering pamphlets of information.

Seifert explains that “We are just looking for students to get together and for them to make connections, meet some people, have some fun outside of the classroom, and feel more of a sense of belonging here at Bucks.”

Bucks emphasizes the importance for students to experience these events on campus. Hanging around in the quad, attending a workshop, or stopping by something that’s happening rather than heading home immediately. Seifert wants Bucks students to know that “there’s more to offer while you’re here at college than just class.”

Naomi Thompson, who works in the student life office with Chris Seifert, agrees that “the goal is to bring people together. We want to send you off with a hoorah!” She said that they just want “to get people out to the next event, we want to build that culture of ‘what’s next?!’ It’s been a huge hit today; it seems like people have stayed the longest out of all the events so far.”

The second day of events included similar activities, with a series of live performances by the Bucks Music Society Club.

Many studies strongly support and encourage student involvement on campus, with The American Psychological Association stating, “students are more likely to engage in healthy behaviors and succeed academically when they feel connected to school.”

Next time you see something fun happening around campus, don’t be afraid to meet some new friends, or experience something new.