Enrollment At All Time High

Enrollment At All Time High

College campuses have been in full swing for about two and a half weeks. Students have gotten their books, made new friends, and most importantly have started their studies for the semester. For the most part, everything’s back to normal. There is one thing that’s different this year. College campuses, or the majority of them, are reporting record numbers this year in admissions.

Bucks is no exception.

Bucks County Community College currently has 10,275 enrolled for the fall semester. Last year they only had 9,831 students.

One major factor behind the increase may be Bucks’ affiliation with Temple University, which allows students to save money and complete two years of college before transferring to another institution for the duration of their eductation. It is becoming the most cost-effective way to attend college.

Karen Dawkins, head of Student Affairs, is very happy about this increase.

When asked if her job has gotten harder with the inflation, she replied, “No, actually my job has become a lot more fun in a number of ways. As head of Student Affairs, my job is to try and attract people to the college and let them know what a great school it is and what a great reputation we have for the value of the education that the students are receiving”.

Not everyone agrees with Dawkins’ position.

Matthew Ayres, 19, a business major from Croydon, is not crazy about the jump.

“The increase in students has caused nothing but problems on campus this year,” Ayres said. “Parking is horrible because you can’t get a space in the morning. The bookstore this year was absolutely horrendous. I had to wait in line for almost two hours to get my books”.