Bucks Writing Talent Recognized

Bucks Writing Talent Recognized

Five students and their instructors were awarded prizes for the Spring 2003 College-Wide Writing Contest in a ceremony held in the Fireside Lounge on Oct. 2, 2003.

The contest is designed to recognize outstanding student writing across academic disciplines at Bucks County Community College. It is held twice a year for the fall and spring semesters.

Entrants are sponsored by their instructors who serve as editors and guides throughout the writing process.

First place winner was Kayla Susan Danay of Levittown. Her entry “Acid Rain’s Destructive Reign on Aquatic Ecosystems” was a class assignment by instructor Lynn McCarty.

Second prize went to Ann C. Cole of Newtown for her entry “Ants, Aliens and Atomic Bombs – How post WWII Science Fiction Films Reflect Contemporary Societal Concerns”. Her instructor was Judith A. Switzer.

Third prizewinner was Rebecca Elizabeth Axe for her paper, “Food for Thought”. Rebecca also received an honorable mention award. Her instructor for both entries was Mary Beth McGinty.

Honorable Mention awards were also presented to Barbara Jo McCloskey (instructor, John D. Rosella) and Noelle Bruno (instructor, Judith A. Switzer).

First prize is $150. Second prize is $100 and third prize is $50. All winners and honorable mention awardees receive certificates. Instructors of student winners receive $25.

Steve O’Neill, a professor in the department of language and literature, who helped organize the event, explained that the contest is open to all currently registered Bucks students. Students may not submit entries from writing classes however.

He said the contest is held to encourage writing in subject areas not directly related to writing and to “reward students for superior written assignments.”

Dr. James J. Linksz, president of the college gave the opening address. He spoke about recent studies that have confirmed strong links between effective writing and good critical thinking skills.

Before the ceremony Linksz said the contest “reflects the commitment of faculty to encourage writing throughout the curriculum.”
Honorable mention winner Barbara McCloskey said, “I appreciate the professor recommending submitting my paper. Without that I wouldn’t have entered.

Marilyn Puchalski, director of academic computing, who hosted the ceremony, hopes that more students will enter the contest in the future.