Drunk Driving Simulated with Machine

Drunk Driving Simulated with Machine

The “Save a Life Tour” brought DUI simulator to Bucks for students to get an idea of what it could be like to drive drunk.

The virtual reality simulator is a state-of-the-art interactive driving experience that aims to impact the choices students make about drinking and driving. The main goal is to show students how alcohol impairs driving.

The simulator was set up in the Gallgaher room for students to try out on Oct. 25.

“We are basically putting a person in a drunk car,” said Chris Geysbeek, one of the simulator operators.

“Our company builds simulators for the government. This simulator was constructed from about 40 years worth of research on drinking and driving,” said Geysbeek.

Geysbeek explained how the simulator works.

“There is a number at the top of the screen. The numbers range from zero to 11. Zero is the lowest intoxication level and eleven is the highest. As the ‘drive’ goes on, the number increases, and it becomes more difficult to control the car,” said Geysbeek.

There were two simulators set up. One was very large, consisting of three screens, a steering wheel, and all the controls that go along with a driver’s seat to look like the inside of a car. There were also two big screen televisions set up to show the progress of the driver.

The other simulator was smaller, containing just one small screen, a driver’s seat, and a steering wheel.

The event attracted many students to grasp the feeling of driving while under the influence. There were mixed reviews about the simulator with many students questioning its accuracy.

“It was interesting, the steering was really sensitive,” said Antone King, 19, a Communications major from Doylestown. “The screen moved so you can see how it feels to be drunk.”

“It does make you feel like you’re actually driving a car, and it made me dizzy. I think it should have had a way to add your weight as a factor,” said Michelle Schwartz, 21, a Medical Assistant major from Yardley.

“I thought it was an interesting way to prove a point. It is a good idea to get the word out about not to drink and drive,” said Tom Noga, 21, a Criminal Justice major from Southampton.

“It was kind of neat, it gives the impression that you’ve had a few drinks,” said CJ Ambrose, 21, a Criminal Justice major from Northampton.

Many students watched from behind to see how other students fared while driving under the influence.

When the driver in the simulator ran a stop sign and hit another car, one Bucks student yelled, “Hey that’s how I normally drive!”

Most students laughed when the driver lost control of the car or crashed into something. They enjoyed watching other people drive “drunk” in a controlled environment.

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board also attended the event. They distributed information pertaining to alcohol use.

A drinking and driving calculator was handed out. These allow a person to compare their weight with numbers of drinks to see what their blood-alcohol level would be. The card also states which numbers are considered to be legally intoxicated.

The Student Life Office and the Union Program Board sponsored the event.