All Work and No Play: Bucks Anthem

With high gas prices, college books costing on average around $80 each and tuition steadily rising each year, many college students are being forced to find ways to bring in extra income to cope with the rising cost of living.

That problem seems to be that there simply aren’t enough hours in the day to achieve all the things that you have to do.

It seems to be a very vicious cycle. Certain things must be sacrificed in order to accomplish what is really important. Between going to school, working, and homework, many students find little time for socializing. The problem of time management even cuts into some student’s sleep schedules.

“There are so many more people working full time and going to school full time… it is hard to imagine how they can do it,” says Marianne Loyd, a Comp. and Poetry teacher in her first year at Bucks. Loyd previously taught for 17 years at Lee College in Baytown, Texas, and remembers that when she went to college, she did not have a job to keep her from her studies.

That seems to be something the previous generation never had to face. They, like us, were basically left with three choices when it came to college: full-time college with part-time or no work, part-time college with full-time work, or full-time college with full-time work. The previous generation seemed to go with the first two; however, this generation seems to gear towards full time work and school.

There are several reasons for this: the cost of books, tuition and gas have all increased drastically compared to what they were 15 years ago. Also, the cost of living has significantly increased. More people then ever now have cell phones, pagers, car insurance and other bills to pay, and it is amazing that the students who have work and children can find time and funds to pick up a class or two.

Out of all the things to be sacrificed, sleep seems to be the one that is deemed most expendable. According to Loyd, she has had a number of students fall asleep in her class. Loyd also has had several people tell her that they worked a double shift the previous night or they didn’t get home from work until late, some as late as 1 a.m.

Loyd also pointed out that she has never seen so many young people that were dead on their feet, worn out and overworked. Another reason why students are sleeping in school may be an indirect cause of working so many hours. Because they are working so late, they are being forced to take classes as early as 8 a.m.

Although 8 a.m. doesn’t seem like it is so bad, the time students need before they go to class should be taken into consideration. If you have a half an hour to 45 minute drive ahead of you, you are waking up at 7:15 a.m. at the bare minimum. If you want to shower, brush your teeth, shave, dress, and get coffee before you go, you’re looking at getting out of bed by 6:30 a.m., but if your job has you working late the previous night and getting out at 1 a.m., a full night’s sleep is out of the question.

Times have changed and now it’s just a question if those who are working full time and going to school full time will be able to handle it.