The end of the American dream

With unemployment still over 8 percent, you have to wonder: how is this economy affecting young adults?
Pew Research Center wondered too, which is why from December 6-19 they surveyed 2,048 adults, 808 of them between ages 18-34, and used their data along with stats from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics to produce a comprehensive overview of what the workplace looks like for young adults.
Unfortunately, the results brought some bad news. This wasn’t surprising though, given that we know the economy currently isn’t great and hasn’t been for a few years now. However, there was also good news; a glimmer of light at the end of along, dark tunnel.
Let’s start with the bad news: the percentage of young adults between ages 18-24 that are employed today is at 54 percent, which is the lowest rate since 1948 when the bureau started collecting data. What’s worse, the young adults that are employed aren’t necessarily happy with their jobs. About half of them aren’t doing what they want or making the money they need.
“Among all 18- to 34-year-olds, fully half (49 percent) say they have taken a job they didn’t want just to pay the bills, with 24 percent saying they have taken an unpaid job to gain work experience,” says Pew. As for sticking with the jobs they have? Not likely, says the 30 percent who don’t consider their current job a career.
All adults surveyed by Pew recognized that the younger generation is struggling. 41 percent believe that young adults have the toughest time in this economy. Many more believe that “back in the day” things were much easier: 82 percent say that finding a job now is harder than for the previous generation, and 75 percent believe it’s also harder to save for the future.
One reason it’s hard for many of the unemployed to get a job is they lack experience and education. Only 27 percent of unemployed young adults say they have the education and training they need for the job they want.
“Having a college degree makes a big difference on this question,” states Pew, “69 percent of young college graduates who are working say they have the education and training they need to get ahead. This compares with only 39 percent of those who do not have a degree and are not enrolled in college.”
Do you hear that fellow students? Here is where that glimmer of light is seen; another reason to keep pursing that degree. One thing to note about the Pew study is that the adults surveyed were not exclusively college graduates. It’s also important to note that more young adults are attending college now, which may account for the low employment rates.
There’s an interesting trait that these young people shared: the majority seemed to be very optimistic. 88 percent believe they have or will eventually have the money they need to meet their goals. Is that naive?  Students here at Bucks and other schools have a chance to get ahead, stay ahead, and achieve what they want.