Bucks receives anonymous donation for music program to buy pianos

Walking into the Multimedia Center on the Bucks County Community College’s main campus, it’s apparent that the approximately 100 students enrolled in the music program are lacking the support they need. Students are sprawled on the floor, crammed in corners and practicing their instrument of choice wherever they can; there’s not enough practice rooms to go around. And while the performance room in the building has good acoustics, the students don’t even have a stage.
So it was a welcome surprise when an anonymous donor gave the program $72,000 and recognized the students and teachers for doing a great job.
Assistant Professor of Music, Edward Ferdinand, says the money will purchase two new Steinway pianos. Most of the pianos the department currently has are over 40 years old.
“The pianos are used every day, all day,” he said. “They are vital to the Music Program. They are used for all classes, many lessons and rehearsals, and of course, concerts. They are not only used by our faculty and students, but by visiting artists as well. One example is the Eroica Trio that will be giving a Master Class and Concert on April 25th. They are Steinway Artists, and only play a Steinway.”
Founded in 1853, Steinway pianos are the top choice for many performers. This is why Ferdinand started the “Steinway Acquisition Project” in hopes to turn Bucks into an all Steinway school. Other all Steinway schools include Yale University’s music program and the Juilliard School in New York. Before this recent donation, the Presser Foundation awarded a $50,000 grant to the Bucks Music Program, enabling the purchase of the 7-foot Steinway Grand Piano.
You can show support for the music program by attending the open jam session every Wednesday night at the Temperance House restaurant in Newtown. The spring concert series is in full swing as well. Thursday, April 26, the percussion ensemble performs, Monday, April 30, the classical chamber ensembles, Wednesday, May 2, the concert choir and Thursday, May 3, the jazz orchestra. All concerts start at 7:30 p.m. and are held in the Presser Room in the Multimedia Center.
Some students are hoping to be able to play other places on campus as well.
“It would be great to have musicians playing on the beautiful new stages built in the cafeteria during the hour that no one in the college as class between 12:30 and 1:30 in the afternoon,” said Virginia Corsello, a jazz vocalist in the music program.
Bucks County Community College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.