Bucks brings back Scarecrow Contest

The Scarecrow Contest, which had been on hiatus recently due to a lack of interest, has reemerged as one of the many fall events happening around Bucks.

Kathleen Morey, a hospitality & tourism management major and the president of the Student Programming Board, is running the scarecrow contest this year and holds nothing but enthusiasm for the event.

“Life today is so serious,” Morey says, “The Campus should have fun opportunities such as these contests every once in a while.”

The Scarecrow Contest is open to everyone on campus, including faculty and staff, and is going to last through September and October.

Teams can sign up at the Student Life office, by the cafeteria, in the Newtown Campus. Registration ends Oct. 5.

Teams must have a name for their scarecrow, a theme, and a description of their scarecrow.

Morey did give a bit of advice for anyone who wants to enter, “Clean out your closet and look for old clothes you don’t mind getting beaten up. Be creative with the body parts and what you use for filling your scarecrow.”

Morey continues, “The sooner you finish your scarecrow, the better spot you can choose nearest to the Rollins Center. But most of all, have fun out there!”

Scarecrows will begin to pop up on the stands made by the Physical Plant, by the Rollins Center on Sept. 28, and will stay up until Nov. 2.

The winners of the contest will be decided by an online voting process on the college’s website, which will begin in early October. Students will be able to vote online for their favorite scarecrow until Oct. 26.

The winning teams will be announced at The Zombie Bash, another free fall event, which will be in the Gallagher Room on Halloween. Winning teams will receive trophies as a prize for the contest.

Several sports teams and clubs, like the Open Door Club, the Improv Club, and the Veterans Club, have signed up for this event. The contest is not restricted to clubs, but is meant to be a campus-wide event.

Many students have given a positive reaction to the contest. “I think it’s a good group building exercise,” says Danielle Selko, 21, a liberal arts major and Vice President of the Open Door Club.

The college intends to make this long-forgotten tradition an annual event, so participation from the campus is the key to its continuation. For more information on the contest, go to the Student Life Office or contact Kathleen Morey at [email protected].