Apple overload

Millions of people in the United States and across the world own an iPhone or some kind of Apple product.

Apple released the iPhone 3G back in 2008 and since then, every year has seen either a new version of the iPhone or an update. Today we have iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and the recently released iPhone 5. The updated versions are not vast improvements. Each has a sleeker look and a slightly larger screen, but no drastic changes.

The IPhone 4s featured a 3.5 inch retina display screen with a resolution of 960 x 640 pixels. The recently released IPhone 5 now has a five inch retina display screen with a screen resolution of 1136 x 640 pixels.

Katrina Rodak, 18, criminal justice major says, “well in my opinion, if you have an iPhone you don’t really need anything other than that. College students can’t afford to buy one of everything. It seems very unnecessary to buy all of them.”

Another product, the iPod, was released in 2001. This was just a simple thing to play music on and has had the most transformations out of all the Apple products. After the iPod shuffle and the iPod Nano, came its current iteration the iPod touch.

The recently released fifth generation iPod touch has a larger screen (4 inch) than the 3.5 inch size of the previous version. This iPod touch also comes in different colors like silver, white, black, pink, red, yellow and blue.

Pierre Denize, who is undecided on his major says, “I think these products are expensive especially if you’re paying for college on your own, but they’re useful. I don’t think the updates or new generations are needed like the iPhone 5 compared to the iPhone 4 it’s just a small change and shouldn’t need a new generation or a whole new product.”

The first iPad was released in 2010. The second generation included a camera and was thinner than the first. The third generation just had a different processor which made it faster. The 4th generation also had a faster processor and an HD camera.

On Oct. 23, 2012 Apple released the iPad mini. This mini has a 7.9 inch screen, compared to the 9.5 inch screens of the original IPads. It is aimed to compete with Amazon.com’s Kindle Fire.

How many more generation of products can Apple release?

Abbie Bass, 18, business major says, “I think the generation today has not only become dependent on technology, but you could also say we have become dependent on Apple. It seems that everywhere you go someone either has an iPhone, iPod or some other Apple product. They are constantly coming out with new generations of their products and no matter how new or how expensive they are college students won’t be able to afford it.”