Student government has new focus on student body

Mike+O%E2%80%99+Brien%2C+the+president+of+the+Student+Government+Association+at+Bucks.+
Mike O’ Brien, the president of the Student Government Association at Bucks.

The Student Government Association (SGA) this year is trying to be more responsive to students by surveying them about what their concerns are.

“Our main goal is restructuring the focus of the Student Government Association in order to create a more efficient and effective student government that will be able to foster the recognition of the rights and responsibilities to the student body in such a capacity as to further their interest and well-being,” said Mike O’Brien, the Student Government Association’s president.

O’Brien and the SGA members took to the halls find out what areas needed the most improvement. By handing out a series of surveys to students the SGA has worked hard at finding out the concerns of students. The surveys have since been completed.

The SGA worked closely with the Student Life office, the clubs and the organizations, the faculty, and the administration, along with the student athletes to resolve all of these problems found in the surveys.

As of right now, the SGA has a few methods in the works for improving the current state of Bucks’ One of the ways is improving the athletics program. They plan on using promotion both on and off campus to increase participation. They hope to improve things by also addressing the specific problems that our student athletes face. They will also be creating handicapped seating in the Gateway Auditorium.

Another improvement stems from some complaints that the designated smoking areas are too close to the early learning center. To alleviate these concerns, the SGA will be relocating the smokers to increase the distance between them. They also hope to provide a pavilion to properly shield the students from the uncooperative elements during inclement weather.

A club review committee was formed in order to ensure that the clubs and organizations at Bucks are able to operate smoothly and are able accomplish all their goals. There were budget hearings scheduled to be held a couple of weeks ago for the clubs to plead their case for additional funding. The set time did not work for many though as only two or three clubs showed up.

The SGA did not give up as they tapped their club treasurer Zachary Maszlanka to phone the different clubs. The phone calls gave the clubs a chance for one-on-one time to make their case for more funding.

“I personally gave five to 10 minute phone calls with as much club members I was able to contact, and had them give me their advocacy as to why they should receive the amount of money they proposed,” Maszlanka said. “After finishing every budget, and ascertaining as to what those clubs would receive capital wise, we are satisfied that this new system work as effectively as it did, and we look forward to doing it for the next couple semesters.”

Additional travel improvements have also been made as there will now be SEPTA transportation to Bucks on the weekends. This will allow the students to access the campus for classes or for the resources it provides.

The overall improvements should increase better enrollment too as O’Brien and his team have made Bucks a better place to attend.