‘Beyond’ just another story

Ellen Page stars in “Beyond: Two Souls,” a game with an intriguing storyline, but one that experiences some fragmentation.

The game plays like an interactive movie, integrating all of the characters, although slightly linear. Jodie Holmes is the game’s main character, modeled after her voice actress Ellen Page. She is tied to a mysterious playable entity known as “Aiden”. The player follows Holmes through her memories as she recounts them.

Holmes can only travel to certain areas, and the terrain is not open for exploration in most parts. However, the player is given options between different possible answers and actions that can affect the fate of the characters. The game has four possible endings, adding great replay value.

The game play in itself wasn’t terrible, but it was nothing to write home about either. Beyond’s charm came mostly from its’ extensive characters. Playable characters had relatable, realistic backstories. Certain characters were less favorable than others, but it seemed intentional.

The most fun was in the personalized selection, achievement hunting, and playing as Aiden. Using Aiden, the player is supposed to float around the room, finding things and people to interact with. Sometimes, Holmes’s life is at stake during these scenes, so Aiden needs to act quickly.

There were some unpleasant bugs and poor thinking in the content of this game. When having Holmes interact with objects, there are points where the action command doesn’t respond, and you have to hit it a second time. This can get old very fast.

Fight scenes are performed by moving in the appropriate direction using the right analog stick. Unfortunately, not everything about the game is perfect; there are only two difficulty settings available.

One setting is for the inexperienced. With this one, the player is given guidance during the fighting; Arrows will appear to show the direction in which to push the right analog stick, and you can’t deviate from this path.

The other setting is for the more experienced. The player can move Aiden at will, but they will not be shown directions during the fight scenes. You can’t advance without fighting, making this mode more time consuming.

Even when playing on the hardest setting, sometimes Aiden’s indicator dots didn’t come up. When playing a particularly hectic level, this can be quite jarring. It’s a huge issue when glitches cause you to lose.

There’s an offline multiplayer option where a friend can play as Aiden, which adds a bit of complication if the player believes they’re ready for it.All in all, the game is pretty good. The storyline is neat, and the secondary presence involved was very fun. The characters are likeable and have rich, interesting backstories, and there’s great replay value.