“The Voice” of Schuler

The debut of Matthew Schuler on NBC’s “The Voice” this fall was one of auspiciousness.

The former Bucks student had just gotten all four judges to turn around in their chairs in a record four seconds after his rendition of “Cough Syrup” by ‘Young the Giant,’ but now it was decision time.

Would he pick the five-time Grammy award winner CeeLo Green, singing superstar Christina Aguilera, country music sensation Blake Shelton or heartthrob pop cover boy Adam Levine?

With his mind racing and head still sweating from his performance Schuler let the world know that his heart had told him to go with Aguilera.

“When I went into the show I thought I would pick Adam or CeeLo, but I also wanted someone who would challenge me and fight for me,” Schuler said. “Christina also has one of the greatest voices of our generation and in hindsight I feel like I made the right decision.”

From that point on he would thrill nationwide audiences with his singing ability as he made it among the top six contestants.

His incredible ride came to a screeching halt on Dec. 3 when he was eliminated from the show when he did not receive enough fan votes.

A few weeks ago Schuler told “The Centurion” in an exclusive interview about his experience on the “Voice” and his origins in music.

“It’s intense,” Schuler said. “With all of the people in the crowds and nation-wide there is a real chance to touch lives. What’s really cool is that because all of those people watch the show they know my name. It also makes me accountable for everything I do and say because I have so many people watching me.”

Schuler would first discover his path to the “Voice,” during the Christmas break of 2012.

“I was watching season three of the “Voice” and I saw that you could audition for next season’s show and decided to do it,” said Schuler.

Meeting 22-year-old singer Ed Sheeran, who basically went all out for his music helped Schuler’s decision.  He would play in bars and would sometimes live on the street.

“I realized that if I am going to be serious about this music thing I am going to have to be willing to do the same things,” Schuler said. “I did not want to be one of those guys who regretted not taking an opportunity when I had the chance.”

Sheeran stayed in contact with Schuler throughout the “Voice” as he served as Schuler’s mentor.

With such a big responsibility you would think that there would be endless hours of rehearsing, but apparently it’s not as much as you would think.

“We try to not over rehearse so there is actually more mental practicing then physical,” Schuler said. “I just try to just take a step back and mentally go over the song because if I do not believe in the song nobody else will either.”

During his time on the show Schuler was also able to get to know some of the judges and had only good things to say about them.

“Blake and Christina are so down to earth and are willing to talk to anyone,” Schuler said. “Adam is so passionate and CeeLo is very deep.”

Getting eliminated from a show like this might be pretty disheartening for most people, but Schuler let me know that he is defined by something greater.

“I am not defined by the show, I am defined as a child of Jesus Christ and I always try to remember that he is sovereign.”

So where does Schuler go from here? Does he go back to college or does he try and stick with his talents in the music industry?

“I definitely want to go to pursue a musical career, Schuler said. I feel like I have come too far to walk away now.”

Besides knowing where his help comes from in life, Schuler credited a member of his family with the reason for his golden pipes.

“It’s definitely genetic,” Schuler said. “My mom has an amazing voice. She could easily pass for Whitney Houston.”

The importance of family is evident in listening to Schuler. He describes his whole family with affection.

“My family in general has supported me through this whole thing,” Schuler said. “They are all beautiful people and I am blessed to be part of their family.”

Schuler’s music experience began to blossom as he sang in his church choir and later joined a band at Pennsbury high school.

“It was probably the first time I really invested in song