Here’s how to be fashion forward while still staying frugal this Fall

Now that the 90 degree weather is finally behind us, leaves are changing colors, and Halloween candy is out, we know that fall has finally arrived, and it’s time to get our closets ready for the new season. The goal is to be stylish, and not go broke in the process.

As a college student you’re most likely always looking for a deal whether it’s that buy one get one 50 percent off coupon, or just an extra few cents off, every penny counts.
The secret is looking for the good deals. Brianna Molder, 19, Paralegal major from Morrisville says, “I’m always looking for a good deal. My friends tease me sometimes and call me an old lady because I always have coupons, but I have to save money however I can.” Brianna also goes on to say, “I find some really good deals on my clothes and I feel a lot better wearing them when I know it only cost me a few dollars.”
Molder is right, coupons are definitely the way to go when trying to save money on clothes, but if cutting coupons isn’t your style, there are some other options for you. Many stores now offer email lists, which give customers alerts on deals, special sales and promotions. Subscribing to these emails is as simple as logging onto their site and clicking the “sign up for email” link. These emails have a lot to offer, and for all the people worried about being spammed, you can adjust your email settings and how frequently you are emailed.
Aside from coupons and emails one of the simplest solutions is to just go to the stores that are known for deals. Forever 21 and H&M are notorious for great deals and offers every day. They offer fashion for women, men, and kids, so there’s something for everyone. Prices at these places start as low as $1.90 for basic items such as tank tops and t-shirts, and go up depending on the styles.
Though brands such as Forever 21 and H&M have dominated the world of fashion for young adults, there are some other options that have been around even longer than these brands. Stores such as TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, and Burlington Coat Factory for decades have prided themselves in affordable department store fashion, without the costly prices. These stores offer various name brand items for discounted costs, and they always have a very full and lively clearance section for those looking to save a little extra.
Christine Hagedorn, Dean of Student Advising talks about how she saves money on her shopping trips. “I have never payed full price for my clothes. I only buy clearance items at TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory, Nordstrom Rack, and other places like that.” Christine also gives a few secrets to saving, “Quakerbridge Mall has the best kept clearance. I only buy something if it meets two criteria, one I love it, and two it’s on sale. Make sure you really love it and it fits you before you buy or it will just be a waste of money. When going shopping I suggest first hitting the clearance section you’ll be surprised at the great stuff you find.”
Thrifting is also becoming a very popular, and affordable shopping method. People everywhere are starting to add to the popularity of thrift stores, if you really do some digging, there’s a lot of hidden treasures. Places like the Salvation Army and The Good Will, are notorious for their hidden finds. However if you’re not ready for the thrift store just yet, stores such as Plato’s Closet are a great place to start. Plato’s Closet only accepts gently worn clothing from various designers, but everything is name brand at affordable prices. Your favorite jacket you saw at Urban Outfitters for $79.00 is probably only $20 at Plato’s Closet.
Brian Reynolds, 22, Business Administration major from Trevose says, “I love going thrifting. You find so many great things, and with one good wash, they’re like new again. Salvation Army has great dea;s every Wednesday. They have half priced merchandise so it’s even cheaper. But you have to go in the morning before everyone gets there and takes all the good stuff!”
If you’re an avid online shopper there are sale an thrifting options for you. Every major retail website has a guaranteed sale section for all types of goodies. If you prefer thrifting there are apps such as Poshmark and Tradesy, where you can buy and sell clothes from a large network of people, with various brands, from Nike, to Gucci.
This falls key items are of course, a big scarf, for those chilly days, and a nice pop for any outfit. A great pair of boots, maybe two, a high-knee pair and a casual short boot or combat boot in cognac or black that can go with anything. Also a nice jacket that can transition well from fall and into winter. A nice hat, and fashionable leg warmers, or high socks will pair perfectly with any of these items. Alaa Afifi says her favorite fall key piece is a scarf, she says, “I feel like a scarf compliments just about any outfit nicely. Even when I decide to dress down and wear a hoodie or something, a scarf always helps dress the outfit up a bit.”
Regardless of your style, or what you’re looking for. There’s a way to get the pieces you love and still actually be able to afford it. From coupons, sale watching, email subscribing, and thrifting, there’s always a way to beat the changing seasons and be fashionable and frugal.