The FBI v.s. Apple: The civil rights implications

Apple is left to choose between the customer’s right to personal privacy and national security as the FBI is now demanding that Apple create an encryption to get into the iphone of one of the attackers in the San Bernardino shooting this past December. Students were divided on an issue that pits national security against personal privacy.
The FBI has been investigating the attack and searching for vital information in the case. The shooters, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, left 14 dead and 22 wounded.
The FBI believes they can retrieve important information from the iPhone of one of the attackers if Apple agrees to create this encryption.
Apple released a statement on February 16 that said, “Now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone.”
English major Rachel Zablocki, 26, of Hilltown, said, “I think, from what the government says, they just want to get into this one phone, not everyone else’s, but most people don’t trust our government. If we can’t trust our government how are we ever going to stand together as a nation, especially when it’s an issue of national security?”
“If this issue will result in a backdoor being made, I think Apple should limit the use of the encryption to one person, with another keeping watch on its use. They should also limit the time allowed to use the encryption and then find a way to erase is completely,” said Zablocki.
If Apple agrees to this, the encryption to unlock the San Bernardino killer’s phone could also possibly unlock other phones as well.
This puts everyone’s privacy and personal information at greater risk if it’s placed in the wrong hands.
Health Promotion major Camille Bridger, 19, from Washington D.C., said, “If Apple unlocks the phones and the FBI gains access to the information on such phones, there could be a risk that the FBI will abuse this privilege by tapping into the phones of many other people.”
What will happen to Apple’s supporters if they do agree to help out the government in this battle to unlock the phone?
“I would continue to support Apple if they unlock the phones because in cases of terrorism it is more important to protect the greater good then to harp on privacy issues in my opinion,” Bridger added.
While some students would disagree with Apple, many would also stick up for the products and the company since it is a case of terrorism.
Biology major Milan Vadher, 18, of Bensalem brought up a compelling point, saying, “I think that Apple is put in a situation where they want to help the government but keep their customers satisfied as well…I personally don’t agree with it…I feel that that’s an invasion of privacy and that the government is trying too much when there are better solutions to prevent terrorism.”
Apple CEO Tim Cook pointed out that,” We can find no precedent for an American company being forced to expose its customers to a greater risk of attack. For years, cryptologists and national security experts have been warning against weakening encryption.”
A criminology major from TCNJ, Rudy Orellana, 24, of Ewing, New Jersey, said, “From common knowledge, I would expect Apple to fight as much as possible to keep their encryption a secret. But, with the government controlling a lot of power with what Apple can and cannot do, I feel that this will be a tough battle and may possibly be declined.”
Apple also wanted their customers to know that they respect and understand the privacy concerns that come with this controversy.