Political Cults: America’s New “Horror Story”

In a time of political frenzy and fanaticism raking the soils of the United States, “American Horror Story: Cult” draws in killer clowns, sex, blood, and fear in order to illustrate the country’s current plights.

Ryan Murphy, director and producer of the AHS series shocks his audience once again, kicking off the first episode with the night of the 2017 election. Ally and Ivy, who are a married couple with a son named Oz whose lives are turned upside down after President Donald Trump is elected. Ally suffers from anxiety and many different phobias that intensify and become real after President Trump is elected. One of her phobias happens to be a fear of clowns and she finds herself being terrorized by people in killer clown costumes.

While Ally and her phobias are a great part of AHS Cult, Kai is a troubled man who forms a cult of people angry about today’s politics. This cult will take any form of violence to get their point across and believe that making the American people fearful will begin their rise to power.

There are many mixed reviews of AHS Cult, as some people are very uncomfortable and disenfranchised with politics, while others adore the current elements imbued into a horrific TV series.

“Rotten Tomatoes” has given AHS Cult a 74% overall rating, a 6.94/10 which is pretty average. The “Rotten Tomatoes” critics’ consensus reads, “American Horror Story: Cult intrigues with timely, over-the-top creepiness – and lots of clowns – despite being hampered by broad political generalizations and occasional holes in the narrative’s logic.”

The scariest thing about AHS Cult is that unlike the other seasons, there are no supernatural forces to be found. Unlike the previous seasons, everything in this season could happen, hence the terror feeling more real than it ever could; this potentially leaves a bad aftertaste for the viewers.

Another great part of this show is that it isn’t biased to one political party, as Murphy makes sure to show the ugly in both liberals and conservatives, in the form of playing with the stereotypes of both parties. The extreme liberals are all perceived as sensitive “snowflakes” while the conservatives are all sporting their “Make America Great again” hats and promoting fear.

“American Horror Story Cult” may not be a suitable show for everyone, especially the faint of heart and easily offended. But if you have a love for horror and an interest in politics it’s definitely a very thought-provoking TV series that is worth the watch.