A Few New Takes on Horror Films

Horror is all the rave during Halloween, and this October will introduce several new scary movies. Some of these movies are recreated cult classics such as Chucky, It, and Saw. The movie that seems to be buzzing the most is IT.

Stephen King fans have definitely appreciated the new film, according to reviews. The movie has also been stirring up controversy, due to red balloons showing up tied on sewer grates. Many also remember the disturbing clown epidemic last year, when clowns were popping up in random places. The new movie takes the cake, raking in $123 million on its opening weekend, crushing box office records.

Students are also extremely eager to see the new Saw movie, known as Jigsaw. This movie is to be released Oct. 27. Dominique Fragoso, 20, a Bucks student says: “The Saw movies have always been super good, I’m excited for Jigsaw. The old Saw films are such classics. Hopefully this new Saw movie will be worth the wait.” Other students are feeling the same way, hoping the film exceeds their expectations.

Escape Room is another upcoming horror flick. If you’ve never heard of Escape Room, the trilogy is downright disturbing. This upcoming Escape Room is about four friends who participate in a popular Los Angeles escape room, and find themselves stuck with a killer.

Breanna Murray, 20, a Bucks student, said she expects this movie to be the best. She explains, “I have done a bunch of escape rooms, like I did seven of them, and that’s my biggest fear! Being trapped somewhere is why they’re so suspenseful for me, that’s why I love doing them. This movie is my fear, being put in a real situation like that. I think it will be really cool and instill some real fear. Escape the room is a huge trend right now.”

Some people aren’t impressed.  “I personally do not like the new horror genre right now. It doesn’t give you the raw power of horror, and the cinematography is terrible,” Said Michael Eckert, 22. Is he a Bucks student? Seems like everybody has something to say about horror films ranging from extremely good, to not so great. Horror films are a type of flick that people can love to watch, or absolutely hate.

Some students love the twisted elements of a scary movie because it is thrilling. Watching that type of movie can be fun because people like to be frightened. Horror would not be such a popular genre if this weren’t the case. Whatever it is about scary movies, they draw people in. Hopefully these upcoming new releases will crush the ratings with flying colors.