Ceremony at Garden of Reflection in Lower Makefield Pays Tribute to Fallen 9/11 Victims

This year marks the 15th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, an event that is unforgettable in eyes of all Americans.

On Sunday, Sept. 11, the Garden of Reflection held a ceremony in remembrance of the 2,977 killed in the attacks, 18 of whom were from Bucks County. Among those in attendance included families of victims, dozens of community members, firefighters, police officers and many many more, all making the plea to “never forget.”

The evening events included a procession, then the Council Rock High School South ensemble sung the National Anthem. Nick Berger- son of 9/11 victim James Berger – spoke to the crowd. A wreath was laid, there was a reading of names, and prayers were said for the victims. The candlelit vigil included the lighting of 11 torches. The first three torches were for American Airlines flight 11 that stuck the North Tower at 8:46 a.m., United Airlines Flight 175 that stuck the South Tower at 9:03 a.m., and American Airlines Flight 77 that hit the Pentagon at 9:37 a.m.

Helene Hart, a Newtown resident, said that “It was a very difficult time for me and family as my husband worked in New York City at the time and didn’t know where he was at for the day.” Her husband, who is an IT specialist, has offices in both North Jersey and New York. He was not injured. It was the fear of the unknown for many people. The last torch was lit in memory of all the 9/11 first-responders.

Uniformed personnel at the event looked on to pay tribute to those lives that were lost trying to save lives. Adam Saba, a member of the Langhorne-Middletown Fire Company, has “become a firefighter because of what happened in the Sept. 11 attacks.” He believes that by being a member of the fire company that is helping the community. The public looked on as the names of the 18 individuals were read that were lost in the attacks. “You were there” was sung to remember the fallen by Central Bucks West High School Choir.

To conclude the evening there was a remembrance walk where attendees were invited to place flowers by victims’ names. This day, Sept. 11, will and forever hold much meaning, sorrow and heartache for all Americans.