Anti-Trump protest held in Doylestown

Following the recent election, our country is has become a nation divided. Some want to “Make America Great Again,” but others are left frightened for their future. President Donald Trump knows how to stir up a nation. His campaign has been built on change and the apparently the effort to bring our nation back 50 years, and has made America a place where immigrants and people of color no longer feel respected.

This is not sitting well with our country’s minorities. Social justice groups are fighting back, and this was very prevalent in the recent Women’s March on Washington. Women made their voices heard about reproductive rights, rights for LGBT women and other relevant feminist topics. The Women’s March sparked a global outcry of citizens with disapproval towards the President and his agenda. Now, the American people are letting their voices be heard in the form of protests around the country.

Trump has drafted several racist, sexist executive orders since his inauguration, including the illegalization of abortion and the initiation of a “wall” at the U.S. border with Mexico. These executive orders are a threat to many people. On Thursday, Jan. 26, the borough of Doylestown joined this outcry to save human rights with a peaceful protest and an open microphone.

Outside of Starbucks, a crowd of around 50 people led by Marlene Pray, an activist in Doylestown, held up signs and yelled about their disapproval of the executive orders drafted by Donald Trump since his inauguration on Jan. 20.

The protest centered mainly on the racial prejudice and sexism encompassed in Trump’s drafted executive orders, with signs spreading positive messages to minorities and bashing Trump’s hate. There was gay positivity, solidarity toward immigrants and people of color, and a common hatred for “the wall” Donald Trump campaigned to “keep out” illegal immigrants.

The protest, which was organized through Facebook, gained lots of attention in the borough as many cars honked their horns as they passed by.

The group started out with a mere 10-20 people and was easily around 50 by the end.. Don’t use the first person in new stories. Plenty of people were asking questions to the protestors, including what their cause was, and why they were protesting. The protesters were pleased to inform the Doylestown public about their rally and were all very kind and positive. One sign that stood out in particular stated, “Build Bridges Not Walls.”

Pray spoke with other Doylestown residents on a microphone on the corner of main street. Marlene is an activist for social justice, community solidarity and advocates for the bettering of communities. Her Facebook page states that she is a professor at Temple University where she teaches in the Department of Public Health. She is the founder of The Rainbow Room, which is Bucks County’s sole center for LGBT youth and allies. Marlene’s efforts to promote social justice helped to bring together the people for the Doylestown protest, and more information about upcoming protests can be found on her Facebook page.