“Game of Thrones”: Deadlier Than Ever

HBO’S hit series “Game of Thrones” returned for its fourth season on Sunday April 6 ending an excruciating ten month hiatus since the end of the last season. The season four premiere garnered a series-best of 6.6 million viewers, the most viewers HBO has pocketed since the 2007 finale of the popular series, “The Sopranos.”

The “Game of Thrones” season four premiere dominated Twitter. In the 24 hours during and after the season one premiere, 500,000 tweets related to “Game of Thrones” were counted by the analytics firm Crimson Hexagon. During the 9:00 p.m. Sunday airing of season four Crimson Hexagon counted a staggering 100,000 tweets in only one hour.

“Game of Thrones” success lies in the tried and true formula; cater to the public’s appetite for sex, money and murder. Game of Thrones combines elements of brother-sister incest, homosexuality, coercion, not to mention sprinklings of diplomacy, strong family bonds, and plenty of backstabbing. It also includes elements from classic fantasy with mythical creatures such as dragons, giants, sorcerers and zombies known as the white walkers.

Nick Alary, 21, a sophomore student from Newtown says “The wait was only too painful, I can’t wait to see what’s going to happen in this season, I’m actually really excited.”

Michael Ramirez a 21 year old sophomore from Newtown, another die-hard fan stated “I can’t wait to see what enemies Daenerys Targaryen vanquishes this season, I also can’t wait to see her in general once more, she is the most gorgeous woman in all the Seven Kingdoms and I wouldn’t mind being the husband of the mother of dragons.”

Sajid Chaudharry a 20 year old sophomore from Buckingham Pa said “I watched all of the thirty [prior] episodes in less than a week.”

Anyone wishing to catch up to the show needs only to know that a lot has happened in the past three seasons, and watching from the current point is not recommended.

Christopher Dunkerly 25 of Newtown Pa says “The show’s breadth is too complicated and amazing to put in words, I would suggest this show to anyone.”

The season four premiere suggests that the show is only going to continue getting better and bigger: bigger armies, bigger dragons, better weddings, more deaths and to put it simply more highly entertaining television.