“Kingsman” is like Bond, with a twist

Kingsman: The Secret Service” handles the James Bond spy genre with gleeful abandon and takes the suave spy-violence to an all-new extreme.

“Kingsman: The Secret Service” is based on the acclaimedcomic book “The Secret Service” created by Dave Gibbons and Mark Millar.

Director Matthew Vaughn (writer/director of “Kick-Ass”) creates a successful, yet somewhat traumatizing, action movie about the British Secret Service. The amount of headexplosions and dismemberment is staggering but appears more animated than realistic.

This movie is definitely not family-friendly as it includes sexual content as well as religious, racialand homosexual slurs. The R-rating exists for a reason.

“Kingsman: The Secret Service” begins with a flashback of the Secret Service breaking into a hide-out, killing all but one man who has a dark secret.

Later in the movie, one of the aforementioned Secret Service agents comes to the home of a deceased spy to give his family a medal, in remembrance of their husband and father’s heroic deeds.

The agent tells the deceased spy’s street kid-esque son that should he ever need anything, to call. After a run-in with the law, the son contacts the agent, and begins training for the ultra-competitive Secret Service training program.

An underdog troublemaker with plenty of potential, a mentor who wishes to repay the son of the man who saved his life, and rich boys-only cliques who have serious issues with the underdog.

Vaughn’s twist on many Hollywood stereotypes makes the film appear original, exciting and fairly unpredictable. Though they are stereotypes, Vaughn brings a fresh aspect to these characters.

Many of the fight scenes within the movie resemble those in “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, which Vaughn also co-wrote, noting that they are similarly shot at 2x’s average speed. In these scenes it is hard to keep up with all the mutilation and headshots, which for those with weak constitutions may be a good thing.

Also the comedic aspect and suave, gentleman-like nature of the British spies eases viewers into these scenes. On the downside, special effects are repetitious and show obvious usage of green screens and dummies.

Altogether, the movie is entertaining if you are comfortable with fake blood and like espionage. Vaughn has stated that a sequel may be possible if box office earnings are high.