iPhone 6 opening bends under pressure

The highly anticipated Apple conference on Wednesday, Sept 17 introduced the iPhone 6 Plus and several other upgraded products, possibly rivaling Android’s dominance of the large-screen phone market and igniting debate between many students.

This year’s products were perhaps Apple’s most ambitious since it first unveiled the iPhone back in June of 2007. At this year’s conference the company unleashed a plethora of new and improved electronics, ranging from the company’s iWatch to of course the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.

The annual press release has become an event Apple users excitedly look forward to every year.

Most people who took interest in the press conference expected some slight improvements in regards to the regular sized Apple 6.

“I’m expecting Apple to have a slightly faster processor than usual, since that’s usually one of the things they work on with each number improvement to the phone, but I don’t think I plan on buying a new one, I just don’t think it’d be worth the money to upgrade”, says freshman Casey Cerenzia.

Despite the new improvements on Apple’s old technology and their commitment to creating new gadgets, it seems that Apple isn’t simply popular because of innovation and cutting edge technology; a lot of it has to do with their popular branding.

Extensive branding has led many to believe that Apple’s name may have become “A little too big for its britches,” as freshman Bobby Reiser states. He wonders if even the quality of the new product is actually worth any of the craze.

Reiser explains: “I think some people have iPhones just for the name and to just say they have one. For iPhones in general, I think they are very useful for many things and in many situations, but they can distract people a lot and they’re usually not worth all of the extra money”.

Reiser continues, “Most of my life I’ve used an iPod Touch, so I’m an Apple man, but I don’t plan on buying a new one.”

He concludes “It just seems like everyone is looking to upgrade each year, and I think it’s more to be cool than anything”.

Many like Reiser believe that there’s no real need to constantly pay money to upgrade phones. This increasing opinion could drastically impact sales for Apple.

Still Apple has many supporters, and has gained a more with their first attempt at a large screen premium phone.

“I like the big screen, now if I want a larger phone I don’t have to settle for an android” says 18 year old business major Mikhail Varshavskie

The iPhone 6 Plus is Apple’s answer to Android’s dominance in the large screen phone market. With this they hope to keep the momentum from swinging back over into Android phones.