Construction starts rolling on new S.T.E.M. Building

Construction has finally started on the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) building.
According to Bucks president, Dr. Stephanie Shanblatt, the building is scheduled to be completed and open with access to students by Jan. of 2017.
Shanblatt states, “We have a very strong STEM program here at Bucks. One of the things that we want to ensure is that along with our strong program, is that our students have access to up to date and modern laboratory facilities.”
This building is mainly going to establish larger and more equipped laboratories in order for the students to have more space to be successful in their time here at Bucks. Some of the new labs are even going to be partially detailed with glass looking in from the hallways.
Shanblatt says that this will create a “wonderful learning environment” and also enable students to be more open to the sciences. The labs will be designed so students will be able to see what is going on inside and create an open and more intriguing atmosphere, rather than having the rooms be closed off and hidden.
This building will hopefully bring forth a number of new students and be able to create a more efficient learning environment while also making students feel more involved.
Shanblatt says, “For the students actually in the lab, I think that just being in spaces where the ceilings are much higher than they are in the current lab, and there is much more natural light creates a great learning environment for the students. It will open up science to students to otherwise might have been a little wary.”
The main reason the building is being produced is to transfer the student’s labs from Founders, and broaden capacity by creating a newer and more productive work facility. The same staff will also continue teaching in these new labs, but with their offices still be kept in Founders.
The building is going to cost $17 million dollars total and is planned to be paid off over twenty years through bonds. It is being funded half by the county and half by the state.
Providing more space is key in the production of the new building and with more lab space, more sections will be offered strengthening and broadening the science program at Bucks.
The STEM building is going to have a grand opening including a ribbon cutting ceremony. Also, student tours will be provided and open for new students to be able to get a feel for the potential courses offered in the sciences program.
Shanblatt states, “I think our science building will rival any other college, two or four year. It will be first hand and a terrific experience!”