The politics of the Pope’s visit to U.S.

Pope Francis’ visit to the United States comes at a time that could heavily influence the way the voting public views the 2016 presidential candidates.
When Pope Francis’ plane touched down on American soil last week, his presence could be felt throughout the 2016 political battlefield almost immediately. This marked the first-ever U.S. visit by Pope Francis, who was voted head of the Catholic Church in March 2013.
The Pope’s visit included trips to Washington, DC, New York, and Philadelphia. But perhaps the most important stop on his Papal trip was his first. While in Washington, Pope Francis made history by being the first Pope to speak before the lawmakers of Congress.
The issues the Pope spoke of came at an inconvenient time for many of the 2016 presidential hopefuls, while for others his visit created an opportunity to gain momentum in the race.
Democratic nominee hopefuls Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders welcomed Pope Francis’ message with open arms. But for many of their Republican counterparts, the Pope’s stances on issues like climate change, income inequality and immigration posed a potential challenge to their campaigns.
The Pope spoke openly about his views on human interactions with the environment, without ever using the words “climate change.”
“I call for a courageous and responsible effort to redirect our steps and to avert the most serious effects of the environmental deterioration caused by human activity. I am convinced that we can make a difference and I have no doubt that the United States—and this Congress—have an important role to play. Now is the time for courageous actions and strategies, aimed at implementing a culture of care and an integrated approach to combating poverty, restoring dignity to the excluded, and at the same time protecting nature,” Pope Francis proclaimed, generating applause from many in the room.
While the presidential candidates who echo the Pope’s sentiments stand firm on their unwavering dedication to protect the environment and seek sustainable ways of producing energy, many who are not sold on climate change are feeling uneasy.
Former Florida Gov. and Republican candidate Jeb Bush spoke out about his opposition to the Pope’s views, citing the Pope’s lack of scientific credentials.
“Put aside Pope Francis on the subject of any political conversation. I oppose the president’s policy as it relates to climate change because it will destroy the ability to re-industrialize the country, to allow for people to get higher wage jobs, for people to rise up,” Bush said.
Bush, who supports the Keystone Pipeline and voted to remove motor vehicle emissions testing in Florida back in 2000, said, “He’s not a scientist, he’s a religious leader,” in an interview with research group American Badge in regards to the Pope’s remarks.
Clinton, the presumed frontrunner for the Democratic presidential nomination, expressed support for the Pope’s words on climate change.
“As a person of faith, a mother, and a grandmother, I am deeply moved by Pope Francis’ recent teachings on climate change—to reflect and above all to act,” Clinton wrote in her climate change-based op-ed in The Catholic Reporter
There is a growing consensus within the American population that the effects of climate change warrant government intervention. According to NASA, 97 percent of actively publishing climate scientists agree that the increasingly warming climate is very likely due to human interaction.
Another topic that Pope Francis chimed in on was the growing gap of income equality. Pope Francis, who skipped lunch with the U.S. lawmakers to dine with homeless people after his speech to Congress, has been outspoken about this issue.
“I would encourage you to keep in mind all those people around us who are trapped in a cycle of poverty. They too need to be given hope. The fight against poverty and hunger must be fought constantly and on many fronts, especially in its causes. I know that many Americans today, as in the past, are working to deal with this problem,” Pope Francis said before Congress.
Democratic hopeful Bernie Sanders said he believes the Pope’s message aligns very much with his campaign.
“He has a very, very progressive agenda. He is looking in the eyes of the wealthiest people in this country … and he is saying, ‘You know what? You cannot continue to ignore the needs of the poor, you cannot continue to ignore the needs of the sick.’ And he is also saying trickle-down economic theory … really doesn’t work. That government itself is obliged to protect those who are vulnerable, and that is a message, I have to be honest, that my Republican colleagues do not want to hear,” Sanders told CNN reporters.
While Pope Francis’ words embody the platform of candidates such as Sanders, it is exposing weaknesses within many who hope to win the presidency in 2016.
With the primary season well underway, politicians from both sides of the spectrum are attempting to find a footing with the American electorate. The Pope’s visit, while not primarily purposed as such, is turning out to be a significant event on the 2016 road to the White House.