Battle begins for Pennsylvania’s youth voting demographic

With Pennsylvania’s Primary process set to begin on Tuesday, April 26, candidates from both sides of the political isle are relying heavily on young and first voters.
The voter registration cut-off period for the General Primary was March 28th. What that means is anyone not currently registered with the party of their choice will not have the ability to cast a vote in the Primary election. The way the state’s primary process is set up, the winner- regardless of how much they win by- takes all.
“Pennsylvania has 20 electoral votes, one of the largest states.  And if the Republican or Democratic candidate wins by only one vote, all 20 electoral votes will go to that candidate.” Rawley explains.
With the 2016 political landscape marked as the year of the outsider, Democratic nominee hopeful Bernie Sanders and Republican nominee front-runner Donald Trump have benefited greatly by the sudden surge of new voters entering the political process.
However, reaching younger generations in an age dominated by social-media and smartphones means utilizing mediums different from the ones used to reach your grandfather’s generation.
“We have used Social Media to get the word out about the party.” Brad Cooper, volunteer for the Bucks County Libertarian Party, says. “Basically using different avenues that most of the older parties do not use. [We’ve] been to voter registration drive and talked to students about Ron Paul, Gary Johnson and the Libertarian Party.”
Political Parties and organizations have taken to the streets (or more likely high school and college hallways) in protest against the trends of apathy in today’s youth when it comes to politics.
“We hold Candidate forums for elections, prepare Voters’ Guides with info on candidates, and prepare contact information on legislators so citizens can contact their legislators with their concerns,” said Madeline Rawley, a member of Bucks County’s League of Women’s Voters. “We run voter registration events at high schools and colleges. We have been at all three branches of Bucks Community College in recent years Remember that we vote for Electoral College delegates.
While reaching the youth vote is considered difficult across the board, conservative parties in particular are struggling with meeting the desires of Millennial America.
“More [young] people are drawn to Bernie Sanders and Ron Paul because they speak to the younger generation. They know the struggle that we face and what we will face with the current direction our government is taking us.” Cooper explains.
Per usual, youth political activism- where it does exist- is stronger and more apparent among progressive leaning voters. But that is not always the case.
“[Bernie Sanders] is a socialist. So with him saying free college, healthcare, and other free things… People will like someone who is willing to give people something free. More than 50 percent of Americans are on some type of government program. So when you say free this or that people will usually gravitate to that person.” Cooper says, trying to explain why Sanders is gaining momentum among youth voters.
It may come as no surprise that policies advocated by Democratic nominee hopeful Bernie Sanders are overwhelmingly, yet not exclusively, supported by the younger generation. Namely, the Millennial Generation.
However, a recurring problem on the liberal side of politics is that so few from this age group actually show up to vote. But just how few?
“In 2012, only 45% of the young people aged 18 to 30 voted while 72% of those over 65 did.” Madeline Rawley, a member of Bucks County’s League of Women’s Voters, claims.
The League of Women’s Voters, founded in 1920, has made it their duty to ensure that every eligible U.S. citizen is able to register to vote, understands the importance of voting, and is not prevented from voting by unnecessary barriers.
Rawley explains the problems associated with low voter turnout among our countries youth.
“Politicians necessarily react with policies that help the people that vote as they need their votes.” Rawley says.”
The threat this poses to young people is that if they choose not to vote- many politicians may stop looking for their vote. This could potentially spell the placing on the backburner of issues that matter most to young Americans.
When asked what issue most youth voters concern themselves with- rising educational costs and the potentially devastating effects of climate change topped that list.
“The 1962 Act that set up community colleges said costs of financing this education should be split three ways. One third from the state, one third from the county and one third from student tuition.  Yet now students are paying about 50% and the state and county split the other 50%. Rawley spoke out. “In general, college tuitions are becoming astronomical.  Students are accumulating huge amounts of debt.  And when they graduate, jobs are hard to find.”
“Environmental changes that many scientists are saying that sea rise from melting Arctic ice might many of our coastal cities by 2050, strong storms, droughts, can cause water and food shortages, etcetera.  The old folks will have passed on – and the young will need to deal with it.” Rawley went on, explaining the environmental effects of current policies- attempting to rile up the younger voters.
With so many young people staying home on Election Day, it begs the question why such an important demographic feel no desire to play their part.
“When I have been at Community College registration drives, some students have replied that their vote would not make a difference, that all politicians are the same.” Rawley says. “An increase in the number of young voters voting could make a difference.”
To further push the issue of the importance of youth participation in the election process, Rawley spoke about the “bellwether” nature of Bucks County.
“Here in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, voters could have a greater impact on the winner because Bucks County is known as a “swing county” because there is such a close difference between the number of Republican and Democrats, and we have so many voters. “
The Primary process is set to culminate in late July, with the Democratic National Convention and the Republican National Convention being held in Philadelphia and Cleveland, respectively. Pennsylvania’s  Primary and the 20 Delegates along with it can be a huge factor in the process of deciding our next President.