What makes the Millennial generation tick?

Trends are the living and breathing definitions of a generation. Trends come in storming and rampaging. They make people think, or stop thinking. Trends move in fast, and often are gone just as quickly.

This generation – known as the millennials – doesn’t have a Great Depression or World War to define it; nor has it witnessed the kind of social unrest that typified the 60s generation.

It does, however, face many problems and stresses. It is, after all, the post 9/11 generation, the first to grow up in a world in which the idea of fortress America died along with the 3,000 or so victims of the terrorist attacks. This generation feels the profound insecurity that comes with the realization that we are no longer safe within our own shores.

So, in this post 9/11 world, this is the generation that is under greater scrutiny than any other in history, a fact we know courtesy of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. It is any wonder, then, this generation might be a little paranoid about being watched, and might be more inclined to stay at home on a Saturday night.
And for that matter, who would blame them if they turn away from politics and the news of the day, with so many grim developments taking place around the world.

The following pages tell the story of the current generation’s trends, from illicit drug use to staying boarded up only talking through the internet to friends.

These are the stories of people in this generation, struggling to deal with the taxing ordeals of life, as well as find themselves in a way which we all know lacks finality.

In the following pages, staff of “The Centurion” pieced together stories to show the uncertainty that we all face as young people growing up. Jeff Gadzinski tells the world of the apparent ignorance of today’s college students.

Tim Zenno delves into the darkness of those paranoid, be it of the internet or everything else. I tell the story and side of those who much prefer to stay inside, as opposed to venturing into the world in order to socialize.

Political apathy is examined by Manuel Rodriguez, and Kelsei Toth is showing the politically correct side of students today. Kristof Phillips questions the education race seemingly apparent around today.

Chris Guisti and Sydney Tasey discuss some of the more taboo trends to grace the generation, including prescription drug abuse and the “androgynous” generation, respectively.

These are the trends that will define the generation, for better or worse.