Men’s Basketball heads to the 2014 playoffs

Mens Basketball heads to the 2014 playoffs

The Men’s basketball team qualified for the playoffs this season after a hard fought schedule, leading to a record of 10 wins and 11 losses.

After a fast start to the first half of their season, the team looked like a lock for the playoffs and were in second place in the conference. However, down the stretch the team faced adversity after losing two players due to academics. It left the team with only six players.

Now with only one substitute for the entire game, some players were playing the entire 40 minutes of each game, which also led to some positives. With Bucks only having one bench player, when other teams went to their bench to rest their starters, Bucks still had most of their starting five out on the court. It also led to the emergence of one of the best centers in the region, Will Davis.

Will is a six foot six center; the true leader of the team. Not only is he one of the best inside scorers and rebounders due to his height, he is also a solid shooter outside as well.

Davis has also been very consistent in his academics, making sure he completes all of his school work so he can continue to guide the Centurions on the court.

The one thing that Will could improve is his ball handling abilities, says his head coach, Don Perry. “The only thing that he isn’t great with is handling the ball, but as a big man, that isn’t something that is a major priority. His ball handling hasn’t cost us any games, and is good enough to help our team compete every game.”

At one point this season, Will actually had two consecutive 40 point games. Just scoring 40 points in one game is hard enough, but to be able to repeat that same performance two nights in a row is a great accomplishment.

Another key player for the Centurions is point guard Kelvin Cobbs-Jackson. Like Davis, Kelvin is a very talented and versatile scorer.  Cobbs-Jackson is also an excellent ball handler, and has become a very skilled passer as well.

While Will leads the team in scoring and rebounding, Kelvin leads the team in assists, and both players are two of the top scorers in the conference.

With Cobbs-Jackson proving that he is an elite point guard, other teams have begun to pressure him more, leading to more turnovers than usual.

Coach Perry isn’t worried. He says, “Teams have begun to double team Kelvin very quickly, and he still has improvements he needs to make on his decision making, but he has truly grown at decision making this season, and has been able to run a very complex offense throughout the season.”

Davis and Cobbs-Jackson were both nominated for first Team All-Conference, as was fellow teammate Terreik Williams. “They are three of the best starters in all of the conference, and have been great leaders this season”, says Coach Perry.

The team’s next game will be Saturday night, 20 Feb. 2014. As of press release, their opponent is still unknown.