Flyers’ playoff chances looking up

The Philadelphia Flyers got off to an extremely rocky start this season, but their recent win streak has renewed the orange and black faithful’s hope for a possible playoff spot for this post season.

As the Flyers head down the stretch, many questions still remain to be answered and many holes are still apparent in their play, yet the fact remains that a seventh or eighth seed in the playoffs is well within reach, and that is enough to give hope to the fans that support them through thick and thin.

Coming off of a seven game first round playoff exit last year, Philadelphia needed to address their defense in the offseason.

In what many thought to be a head-scratcher, Philly resigned 39 year-old defenseman Kimmo Timonen to a one-year extension worth $2 million.

Timonen hinted at retirement during the season last year, but his decision to stay, coupled with the Flyers decision to extend his contract kept the aging defense intact, and failed to provide the significant boost that they desperately needed.

With the defense as the biggest weakness, Philadelphia started the 2014-15 NHL season out at a paltry 18-22-7 as of Jan. 19. The fan base was growing impatient, and the odds at making the playoffs at that time were incredibly dim.

However, an 8-1-4 run since has energized not only the team itself but also the fans as well, as the “Fly-Guys” find themselves only four points behind the Boston Bruins for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

Although still on the outside looking in, it is nice for the greater Philadelphia area to be able to enjoy a light at the end of the tunnel.

“Well, I believe that the Flyers playoff chances are not out of reach,” said Tyler Gillen, 19, liberal arts major from Langhorne. “As long as they stay healthy and win a consistent amount of games from now until the end of the season, I believe they have a good chance of making it to the playoffs.” Gillen is not alone in his optimism, but the majority of fans do seem to share what is known around the sports world as a “cautious optimism.”

“I think that while it’s not going to be easy, the Flyers do still have a shot at making the playoffs,” said Ryan Jacobs, 20, communications major from Levittown. “For the Flyers to make the playoffs, they need to play better defense, and unite together as a team these last few games if they want any chance at making the playoffs.”

While Craig Berube has been the scapegoat at times for the team’s underachieving play this season, other variables seem to point to different factors for the cause of the problem.

“I believe Craig Berube should keep his job” said Jacobs.

“While I was never a fan of firing Peter Laviolette, I feel that Berube has done well with the lack of defensive talent and a non reliant penalty kill unit this season. He’s made changes to lines and started different players to shake things up, but can’t seem to find exactly the right combination because of a lack of talent.”

The bottom line is that if Philadelphia ends up missing the playoffs this season, the team needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and make some serious adjustments. However, making the playoffs this season doesn’t automatically erase the flaws in their game right now.

With the All-Star Break behind them, Philadelphia can only hope that captain Claude Giroux, alternate captain Wayne Simmonds, and star player Jakub Voracek can put the team on their back and not only carry them to the playoffs, but to the Stanley Cup finals.