Suicide prevention: information is power

Suicide, the deliberate taking of one’s life, is the second most prominent cause of death in America. World Suicide Prevention Day, observed on September 10, is meant to not only create awareness of the deadly side effects of depression and other such mental illnesses, but to hopefully lower the rates as well. In the year 2011, an estimated 1 million people died by suicide. By the year 2020, the expected rate of death by suicide is 1.5 million people.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), for every one successful suicide, there are twenty failures. Some individuals affected by the epidemic have either lost a loved one from suicide, known someone who attempted the act, or even thought of committing suicide themselves. With the staggering number of suicides in the world, it is hard to ignore.

Many people will not fully understand why a person would commit suicide. Some have even called it selfish, such as the most infamous example Todd Williams from “Different Strokes”, calling comedian and actor Robin Williams selfish for “taking the easy way out.” However, the person who is accused of “taking the easy way out”, feels they are putting an end to their own suffering.

The key to preventing suicide is to realize that mental illnesses are serious diseases, and that they should be treated seriously and immediately. Being diagnosed with a mental illness can disrupt a person’s entire well-being, whether it be changes in their mood, thinking, or daily functions.

Adults aren’t the only ones affected by mental health disorders. Children and adolescents are also affected. The National Institute of Mental Health reports that one in four adults–about 57.7 million Americans, experience mental health issues in a given year.

By reaching out to someone with a mental illness, you could be committing a life-saving act.

Recognizing some of these warning signs is the first step in helping yourself or someone you care about. Sometimes it just takes support and friendship to save someone that feels hopeless.

Spread the word, and remember that suicide is preventable. Reach out to someone today.