SEPTA union avoids strike

“How am I going to get to school?” was the question that has been haunting the minds of Bucks commuters taking the SEPTA bus after hearing rumors about an imminent strike.

As there are many Bucks students who rely on SEPTA buses as their sole mode of transportation to and from the campus, Bucks commuters apprehensively waited for news updates on their mobile devices to confirm whether or not a strike was going to happen.

Over the Halloween weekend, the SEPTA strike took a turn that left many people sighing in relief. They came to an agreement with the union that, according to Philly News, stated, “The two sides came to terms on a two-year pact that will give workers a 5 percent raise over the life of the contract.”

With SEPTA services going back on schedule, as well as giving their workers what they asked for, thousands of people can rest easy knowing their public transportation can still be relied on, at least for the next two years.

SEPTA’s strike was a way for the union to protest against their low pay. According to sources, It happens every four to five years when the union’s contract is up.

“I have to agree with the strike because you cannot live without a high paycheck,” said a female SEPTA bus driver who wished to be kept anonymous. “I have a family to take care of.”

Another male driver added, “I want my benefits kept intact.”

Although the union supported their beliefs, there were still commuters who did not understand the reasons why a strike had been considered.

Jose Fabian, 20, a liberal arts major from Bensalem, said, “Why do they need a raise if they have long breaks in between their routes?”

The female SEPTA driver opposed his view, saying, “We are a union job. We have to negotiate and take a stance.”

Those left with no alternative transportation were the ones who most feared the strike.

“If there is actually a strike, it would be terrible because that is the only way I get to school,” Arie Chriswell, 19, a psychology major from Bensalem, said.

Bucks student John Dayton, 19, a criminal justice major from Bensalem, who faced the same problem, said, “I wish I had my license. I am still trying to figure everything out if a strike were to happen.”

Some commuters believed the college itself should contribute towards a solution because lack of transportation could have had a major effect on students’ education if they could not attend their classes.

“Our school should find a way to help us out,” said Amna Khan, 18, a chemistry major from Bensalem.

“This is a community college where many students have to commute to get here. It is only fair that Bucks provides us with shuttle busses,” said Isabel Berrocal, 19, a business major from Langhorne.