Is texting an effective way to communicate?

Today’s generation of young people are probably the most tech-savvy generation yet. Every day, young adults are communicating through text messages to efficiently reach one another.

People aged 18 to 24 sent on average 2,022 texts per month, and received 1,831 in March 2013, according to Business Insider.

That’s a lot of texts, especially for young adults who are always on the go. People attending Bucks are seen texting throughout the hallways, while eating lunch, and sometimes even during class, too.

But why do we seem to be so addicted to this form of communication, and less interested in face-to-face interactions?

For students who are constantly moving and working to get through the day, it is much easier to send a quick text, rather than stopping to complete a long phone call.

“Phone calls are like, so lengthy. Sometimes you just want to check in with someone to see if they’re OK,” said Dani Shavirov, 19, business major.

Shavirov also mentions that texting is a good form of interaction because it helps her think things through before sending her messages.

“Sometimes, you know, when I open my mouth, I say mean things because I have no filter. With texting, I can filter. Like, if I think what you’re saying is wrong, I’ll tell you face-toface. Through texting I can control myself.”

“I love texting. I think it’s really useful. It’s easier for me to talk through texting, because it relieves anxiety,” said Ashley Fotrell, 20, fine arts major.

Although texting makes it much more efficient to communicate with others, and easier to get points across without being nervous, or filtering, some students believe it to be a hindrance on our ability to talk to each other in real life.

Students are replacing talking to each other with text conversations, causing communication issues, especially with emotional interpretation.

“Nobody gets my sarcasm through texts. You have to put asterisks around the word ‘sarcasm.’ Some people just don’t get it,” Amber Horton, 19, pre allied health major said while rolling her eyes, with obvious frustration.

Many people have problems conveying exactly how they feel through texting, as people are using improper grammar, and making less effort in their daily lives because of texting.

“If we start using texting lingo too often, eventually we won’t know how to spell at all,

and we could get bad grades. Once, I said ‘LOL’ in a paper,” Daniel Jimenez, 18, a Quakertown High School and future Bucks student said.

Texting can be really distracting, especially in class. A simple text message can unhinge students’ concentration.

“If someone gets a message during class, the whole room checks their phones just in case. And then its downhill from there, because now I have my phone out and I’m all distracted. And the teacher also gets mad,” Jimenez said.