Founders Hall renovation

Founder Hall
Sarah Sanderson
Founder Hall

Founders Hall is getting a $9 million makeover to upgrade the building, which is over 40 years-old, and in serious need of a face lift.

Currently, the small, over-crowded, gray, drab-looking, Founders Hall primarily houses the science, technology, engineering, and math department (STEM).

The renovation is estimated to cost around $9 million to complete, and is set to start at the earliest in August of 2016, but the start date depends upon the completion of the science building construction.

Bill Stank, the project manager for the renovation of Founders Hall is also the project manager of the new science building being built adjacent to Founders Hall.

The new science building will feature a curved two-story glass wall at the entrance, leading into a two-story student commons area with open lounge spaces and rooms for collaboration and study. The 34,700 square-foot, two-story project includes 11 science labs and a lecture room. It is expected to be completed by 2016.

“The purpose of us renovating Founders was because of the new science building being built just east of Founders. It’s going to be connected once construction is completed on the science building,” said Stank.

“Founders is 40 plus years-old, and it was time for some upgrading. The building of a new science building kind of helped us decide to revamp the building. The whole thing is going to be redone, except the auditoriums which are still relatively new.”

As for what exactly is being redone in Founders, the list is endless.

“New heat and air systems are going to be put in, as well as new electricity, the lobby is going to be redone, new paint on the walls, and new flooring will be laid down in each room besides the auditoriums, which as I said before are still relatively new,” said Stank.